web analytics
There's Salt, Then There's Salt - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

There's Salt, Then There's Salt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Salt, Then There's Salt

A while ago, I ran into a reference to gray French sea salt while reading some recipe or other. Ignored it, because I thought I'd never find it. By accident, I found some recently in a local organic food store. Used it on a Carol Field Foccacia, and everyone who tried it couldn't believe the flavour. Neither can I.

The stuff I got is Sel Marin de Guerande by a company called Le Paludier (Bretagne sud). Apologies for not being able to add the proper accents on the Es. The blurb on the back reads:" This sea salt from Guerande is hand collected according to an age-old ancestral method. Simply drawn and sun-dried, it is kept gray intentionally in order to preserve its clay particles and the smell and flavour of Dunalliella-Salina seaweed." And does it ever.

If you think salt is just salt, give this a try if you can get it. There's a reason they call it "Fruit de L'Ocean du Soleil et du vent." The 1 kg bag I bought cost $5.29 Canadian, and it's imported by La Maison Orphee, 1450 rue Provinciale, Quebec, GIN 4 A 2; Tel: 418-681-1530, Fax: 418-661-2203.

I won't go into the bouquet or lingering taste sensation a la wine writers .

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827
Working...
X