web analytics
Salt, salt, salt - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Salt, salt, salt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt, salt, salt

Everybody,

Went searching for a black volcanic salt that a friend mentioned she tasted in a restaurant. Did a quick search and came up with this:

Gourmet Food - THE NIBBLE - Salt Glossary - Salt Types, Terms and Definitions

Maybe it's more than anybody needs to know about the subject, but interesting nonetheless. The type I use for bread is sel gris, more specifically Sel Marin de Guerande. It's pretty special stuff.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Re: Salt, salt, salt

Jim,

Thanks for this posting the website is most informative. Had a quick look too at saltworks.us, where many of the photographs came from, and found some favourites, eg Maldon salt and smoked salt from Anglesey. I really had no idea there are so many gourmet salts out there!

I note that sel gris has a stronger flavour than some other salts is this the reason you use it for bread baking?

Paul.

Comment

Working...
    X