web analytics
is it possible to make the dome entirely of a concrete vermiculite mix? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

I'm Peter Reinhart! Ask Me Anything! Monday, February 15, 2016 7:00-8:00 pm EST

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

Ask Me Anything New Forum Feature

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
2 of 2 < >

Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena

Hello,

For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7q7...jSniYogfUra06Q

If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

is it possible to make the dome entirely of a concrete vermiculite mix?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible to make the dome entirely of a concrete vermiculite mix?

is it possible to make the dome entirely of a concrete vermiculite mix?

i am a formwork carpenter and have formed up many different shapes and crazy designs for various things so im just wondering if i can make a pizza oven dome completly from some kind of concrete mix...

If not would it not be impossible to make a thin concrete/vermiculite outer shell and once cured simply lay bricks on the inside??? weight may be an issue but im after a way that can be built and transported...

cheers ben

Re: is it possible to make the dome entirely of a concrete vermiculite mix?

I think it would be more difficult to build the oven from the outside in.

Mark
    Last edited by MK1; 08-26-2009, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Hi Ben,

You'd be much better off to use refractory mortar/concrete than vermi-crete

If you wanted to go down the cast route, most people make forms out of sand.

hope this helps,

cheers,
      Mitch.
      -------------------------------------------
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

Just to clarify, it would probably be easier to cast the inner dome. It would be hard to lay bricks on the inside of a hard shell. But in this situation, you don't want to use an insulating product like vermicular concrete. You'd use a castable refractory such as Mizzou Plus (or the equivalent brand available to you locally). Something that has similar thermal properties to firebrick.

Ideally you'd want to cast it in several sections so that thermal expansion has less tendency to crack & pull apart the dome. Then mortar those sections together. That's not to say that you can't cast it in one piece if you really want to. Others have. A good starting point would be to search for and read the experiences of others on this forum who have already gone that route.

Once your castable dome has set, then you could insulate it with any number of products including vermicular concrete on top of the inner dome that you cast first.

You cannot make the entire dome from vermicular concrete. Well, you could. But it wouldn't work very well. The inside dome needs to hold and radiate heat for the oven to work properly. But it is possible to cast a shell within a shell and not use firebricks at all if you want to.

Comment

Working...
        X