web analytics
Fireclay vs. Sand for floor - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 2 < >

Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena

Hello,

For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7q7...jSniYogfUra06Q

If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

Fireclay vs. Sand for floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireclay vs. Sand for floor

The subject of sourcing fireclay seems to generate a lot of questions.

After I went to the trouble of sourcing it for laying my floor, I made a mess of a sand/fireclay/water mixture that I later scraped off my insulation board (and took some of the insulation with it). I then mixed the fireclay and sand together and used that dry to lay my floor. I ran out of fireclay, so I just used sand for the rest of it.

If one is going to use a wet leveling mix, I can understand that the fireclay makes for a sticky mix. But for dry leveling, is there really an advantage to mixing the sand with fireclay?
    -David

Re: Fireclay vs. Sand for floor

Sand is loose, and travels, as is shown by the brick walk i laid on sand some years ago. Using the fireclay/sand mixture lets it set up into something more solid, which will be a better base for your floor.

Laying it dry is a good idea, btw, but it works best if you wet the floor afterword to set up the mixture.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Fireclay vs. Sand for floor

I sealed all of the sand and fireclay in by squeezing a bit of mortar all around where the perimeter of the floor meets the insulation board. So, hopefully my sand will not go traveling too far.
      -David

Comment

Working...
      X