web analytics
Door of Insulating Firebrick - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 2 < >

Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena

Hello,

For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7q7...jSniYogfUra06Q

If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

Door of Insulating Firebrick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door of Insulating Firebrick

I had the thought to make an oven door out of insulating firebrick.

I picked some up from a local ceramics store; they weigh about 2 lbs. each and have a consistency closer to styrofoam than to normal firebrick.

The ceramics store said these bricks lining a kiln would take a 2,300F internal temp and take it down to 600F to the outside of the kiln.

I propose to mortar them together, cut to an arched shape, and through-bolt a wooden handle.

Total cost: ~$25.00
    Weight: ~10 lbs.
    -David

Re: Door of Insulating Firebrick

They can be a little crumbly, I think your plan will work, with a good quality refractory mortar, but they may leave some brick dust on your hearth. It'll also be a little brittle. When they do lids for kilns, they are always held by some metal edging.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the input. You are right about those bricks being crumbly; you can scratch them with a fingernail. I thought of sandwiching the door with sheet metal as some have done with ceramic board. It was to avoid the dust from ceramic boards that led me to this design; I think I would rather deal with brick dust.

-David
      -David

Comment

made my doot from a piece of soapstone
        works great takes the heat very goo

Comment

Working...
        X