web analytics
Type S mortar vs Portland cement - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 2 < >

Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena

Hello,

For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7q7...jSniYogfUra06Q

If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

Type S mortar vs Portland cement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type S mortar vs Portland cement

refractory mortar recipe 1:3:1:1
    1 part Lime,3 parts sand , 1 part fireclay and ,1 Part Portland.
    Can the Portland cement be replaced by Type S mortar?

Re: Type S mortar vs Portland cement

Can the Portland cement be replaced by Type S mortar?
    No. Type S is a mortar mix, with aggregates already mixed in with the portland. Adding more aggregates would only leave you with a crumbly mess.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

No.

Type S mortar is already a mixture of sand, portland cement and lime. You may, however be able to add fireclay to type S mortar to make refractory mortar.

dusty

PS - I mixed my own 1:3:1:1 for setting bricks, but after the first day I cut the lime down to 1/4 part. That stuff is DEADLY nasty!

Comment

Thanks !
        How can I find out the percentage of the sand, cement and lime?

Comment

What happened when you removed the lime?

Comment

Nothing.

But I did't remove it, I just cut it way down. And I used this mix for setting the enclosure bricks, not the oven bricks. For the oven I used store-bought refractory mix. Forno Bravo store.

BUT, when I asked the guy at the cement store about making my own refactory mix, he sugested that the lime content seemed a bit ridiculous. He wasn't a "refectory expert" but he didn't understand the need for that much.

dusty

Comment

I forgot to mention that masons quite often add fire clay to their mortar to make it creamier -that is more creamy. He wasn't aware of using it as a refractory additive.

Hope this helps because it seems to be getting rather confusing.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by masuzzu View Post
                What happened when you removed the lime?
                I thought the lime was to give the mix a more "plastic" nature for workability. I used the suggested receipt and found it to work very well - not as good as HS, but the oven still stands.

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by masuzzu View Post
                  Thanks !
                  How can I find out the percentage of the sand, cement and lime?
                  Type S ratio is usually 9-2-1 sand-portland cement-lime...the sand will only be mixed in if it is referred to as "spec-mix" or the like...you can find just the mortar mix to which you have to add the sand...you could substitute type N mortar(again the mix only so that you can add sand) which will already be premixed of 1-1 of cement to lime...if it is "spec-mix" type N it will be mixed with 6 parts sand...so see if you can get just the mortar mix...you can then simply mix in one part by volume of fireclay to 2 parts type N mortar
                  Hope this helps!
                  Best
                  Dutch
                  "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                  "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                  X