web analytics
Refractory mortar vs castable? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
2 of 2 < >

Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena

Hello,

For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7q7...jSniYogfUra06Q

If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

Refractory mortar vs castable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory mortar vs castable?

Is refractory mortar, like RefMix, the same as refractory castable?

Could RefMix be used to cast whole shapes like dome entrances or small domes?

Thanks,
    dave

Re: Refractory mortar vs castable?

This seems like a pretty straight fowrard one, no body knows the answer to this?

Comment

The short answer is no. Like regular mortar mix differs from concrete mix (it's sticky and has finer aggregates) castable refractory is different stuff from refractory mortar. Mortar might well crack when used that thickly.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
        The short answer is no. Like regular mortar mix differs from concrete mix (it's sticky and has finer aggregates) castable refractory is different stuff from refractory mortar. Mortar might well crack when used that thickly.
        As I suspected, but I wan't sure if what was being called "mortar" in the case of RefMix was infact true mortar or cement used as mortar to bind the bricks.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Dave,

I'm no expert on the exact composition of castable refractories, but I have used a fair bit of them. Castables contain refractory aggregate as well as refractory cement. The two types I've used are Kastite Lite (which is not meant for direct flame exposure) and Kastite (which is). The difference between them, as I understand it, is the percentages of of alumina and other materials. An equal cubic measure of Kastite Lite would be significantly lighter when cured than Kastite. There is also Super Kastite (which is even denser). I have cast vents out of Kastite and will be casting a lintel out of it next week, but I've never used Super Kastite.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

RefMix is a mortar used to set precast pizza oven and fireplace pieces as well as fire bricks. It is very smooth, like a masons mortar. As others have noted, it is designed to be applied pretty thinly. The technical spec limits the thickness to about 2 1/2".
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Just to add the castable side: the helpful man from Purimachos told me that I can use the castable (the one he suggested, not just any) to join elements of precast ovens.

Best wishes,
              W.
              "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

Working...
              X