web analytics
Tools for cleaning out the oven? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
2 of 2 < >

Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena

Hello,

For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7q7...jSniYogfUra06Q

If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

Tools for cleaning out the oven?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for cleaning out the oven?

I can't reach the back of my cob oven too well to scrape out the last bits of the sand that originally formed it. This brought up a larger question to me of how I intended to get all the ash out of there. This brought up another question in me of how I was intending to push all the wood around when I was starting the fire.

It will be another week I think before I can really take this thing up to a good temperature so I wanted to learn a little bit more about good tools to use in the oven that I should probably have at the ready when it is time. I already have a pizza peel, but that was the easy part.

We have a nice hoe here that might push the wood around, and I initially was using it to scrape out the sand, but I couldn't get it into the curves right at the edges, so a lot got left behind. I am assuming there is a kind of brush that is like 45 degrees to the handle, all made of materials capable of withstanding high heat. I guess it could be like a workshop broom you'd use at home. But so far I haven't found one. When I looked up fireplace brushes on Amazon they all appeared to point straight out from the pole. Is that normal? Is that better?

Re: Tools for cleaning out the oven?

You really need about five specialized tools for oven management and pizza handling.
    For fire handling you need a long handled shovel and rake. For floor cleaning you need a long handled brass brush. For pizza handling you need a large peel to place the pizza, and a small one to turn it and remove it. You can improvise if you are good at metal fabrication, or you can spring for professional tools. A good food service supply that handles pizzeria stuff may have it locally, or you can buy it from FB:

Residential Pizza Peels | Pizza Oven Tools
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

To get the sand out I would suggest using a shop vac. After that, a brush will work fine. I don't mind a little ash on my pizza but sand and mortar - no way.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Here at Forno Bravo we have the tools you need. Feel free to check out our website
        Fornobravo.com.

Thanks
        Heidi

Comment

I made an 8" round aluminum pizza retrieval tool on a long copper handle which I also use for moving logs, coals, and embers around and also for shoveling ash. It's a very versatile tool.

As for clearing ash for pizza I blow away ash using a long 1/2" copper pipe flattened on the end.

So basically, I only use 3 tools for the oven, the third being a wooden peel.
          Last edited by fxpose; 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

i use a 3-knott roofers brush to clean ash out of my oven after it has cooled, a brass brush when it's hot

Comment

I use a shop vac to clean the ash out

Comment

Originally posted by stonylake View Post
                i use a 3-knott roofers brush to clean ash out of my oven after it has cooled, a brass brush when it's hot
                "3-knott roofers brush ".....? What does that look like? 3 knots is how fast I walk, must be a real fast brush
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.
                Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is here.
                An album showing our Thermal Breaks is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Hello All,

You can make pizza oven tools from discarded garden tools. I have a lathe so was able to cut long handles to the length needed and turn the ends to a nice shape then drill a long hole for the metal shank. I did a hoe and poker that way. Shop around on eBay for metal bristle oven brushes. I got working part shipped for roughly $20 and put it on a threaded wooden handle.

Peels are not difficult to make with basic hand tools but a better way is to shop around for an inexpensive wooden peel, then thin the front edge and add a handle to suit the length you need. This is another item I found locally and modified for less than $10 and an hour of work.

The metal peels I saw on eBay seem to be priced by the length of their handles, though I don't know why that should be. I bought three of various design and size but with the shortest length handles. Shipping was low because they were all under a critical postal shipping dimension. I removed the short wood handles and installed custom length handles that I made myself. This made for an easy and fun project. There were a variety of round, wooden, handles at Ace Hardware. I cut them to length and fitted them to the metal peels with rivets.

Cheers,
                  Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
                  X