web analytics
Alternative build ideas - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 2 < >

Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena

Hello,

For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7q7...jSniYogfUra06Q

If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

Alternative build ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative build ideas

There is a product called InsulCaste from the HeatStop people. Its purpose is to insulate but I can't vouch for its efficiency.

It was suggested to me that I first apply a thin, watery coat of HeatStop over the exterior of my firebricks in order to fill in the low areas of mortar (I have many)

Then, interesting I thought, to do away with the insulating blanket and use a 2 inch coating of the Insul Caste, following up with a stucco and a sealant coating.

This is appealing to me because I could do away with the exterior wall and roof completely, and also do away with the ceramic blanket.

Any thoughts?

Re: Alternative build ideas

You pay your money and take your choice.

You can surely take a chance with that advice....I'll take advice from someone who has been there and made a successful oven.

Resist those shortcuts, and build it the way hundreds have done. Don't be taking a risk. All the details in the pompeii plans are there for a reason. A good reason.

How much will it take to go back and redo things if that advice doesn't work? Are you willing to do it twice?

I'm being a devil's advocate because likely that advice is from someone who has no idea why these ovens have been build this way for a thousand years....

HTH
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.
    Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is here.
    An album showing our Thermal Breaks is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I would be leery of a castable insulation merely for the fact that it's R-Value inherently cannot possibly be as high as a ceramic blanket. I would think anything castable would be very similar to vermicrete, which can be made quite easily and inexpensively.

Comment

I have used the Insulcast for a door. It works well, but it is not in the same league as perlcrete at 6-1. It is designed as a product to insulate kilns, for example, not ovens.

Comment

A 4 inch layer of pearlcreate or vermicrete (12:1) is going to do the same thing, be cheaper, possibly insulate better and you can put the stucco directly on to this as well.

Comment

Yesterday I visited my friend's glass studio. He has a gas fired kiln that was at temp above 2000f, the top was only covered with 2 inches of ceramic cast, I placed my hand on it and it was as warm as my bath water. I decided that I will use the ceramic cast over my 42 inch Pompeii that is almost finished, covered with 3 ceramic blankets and 3 coats of stucco. I have my floor on 2 inches of ceramic boards. I'll let you know how it goes once I fire it up. Pompeii in Japan.

Laurentius

Comment

Working...
            X