web analytics
mortar Help - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
2 of 2 < >

Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena

Hello,

For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7q7...jSniYogfUra06Q

If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

mortar Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mortar Help

What kind of mortar should I use because I cannot find fire clay ? Is there another solution
    thanks

Re: mortar Help

Probably any powdered clay will suffice if you can't get fire clay.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I should qualify my reasons for advising that "any powdered clay should suffice". In the poor mans mortar there is only1/6 by volume of fireclay and at the temps we fire to that fireclay will not melt so it is a bit doubtful whether using any powdered clay would make a significant difference. The lime does a pretty good job on it's own after the Portland has given up the ghost.

Comment

That said, the kind of place where you would get powdered clay, a ceramics supply, would most likely have fireclay, and it's likely to be your cheapest powdered clay option.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

it is also very abundant almost anywhere. Has been used for centuries as a building material making mud bricks.,but you will have to process it to. Remove any foreign material like course aggregate if you use it to make mortar. Quite a bit of work to pulverize it and pass it through a sieve (don't strain yourself)

Comment

Working...
          X