web analytics
Pompeii Oven - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Pompeii Oven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii Oven

I am planning to build a wood fired oven. I consider myself an inept brick layer.How difficult is it to build? should I go to a precast refactory dome instead?

I am pretty sure that most people start this project with little or no brick laying skill (I know I did). You learn along the way, and frankly, it doesn't have to be perfect...

If you can afford the precast dome, it is sure easier as the stand itself is quite a lot of work. But then you don't get the "pride of authorship"...

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Pompeii

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray
      I am pretty sure that most people start this project with little or no brick laying skill (I know I did). You learn along the way, and frankly, it doesn't have to be perfect...

If you can afford the precast dome, it is sure easier as the stand itself is quite a lot of work. But then you don't get the "pride of authorship"...

Drake
      Thanks Drake, I like authorship!I havent investigated all I need to, but I'm leaning toward a brick oven. Thganks Jack

Comment

Inept is ok

If you are beginning the project as an inept brick builder that's probably better than many of us who built a brick dome. I started the project with credentials of inept floor tiler, no brick experience. It takes more courage than skill. This forum and the wonderful Pompeii plans gave me all the information I needed.

Have fun!

Comment

I'm going crazy with my project, but so far, the stand is a lot more work than the oven. The deciding factor for me was that I wanted the look of the bricks inside my oven, rather than the smooth modular look.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
          X