web analytics
Dome/Hearth ratio - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Dome/Hearth ratio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome/Hearth ratio

I want to build a pompeii style oven (I currently have an AS style that I built a few years ago). This will be a pizza only oven. I want it to heat quick and cook extremely well. Is it necessary for the hearth thickness to match the dome thickness? I want to use the FB pompeii plans. However, will 2" FB Board with a 2.5" thick firebrick hearth work well with a 4.5" thick dome covered in 2 or 3" of FB blanket? Or do I need to stand the bricks on edge to give a 4.5" hearth?
    Thanks- Mark

Re: Dome/Hearth ratio

Originally posted by mbutler315 View Post
    will 2" FB Board with a 2.5" thick firebrick hearth work well with a 4.5" thick dome covered in 2 or 3" of FB blanket? Or do I need to stand the bricks on edge to give a 4.5" hearth?
    Thanks- Mark
    You do not need to stand the bricks up on their edges. The FB plans call for laying the bricks down flat. If you use the 2" FB insulation board under the hearth bricks you will be very well insulated. 2 or 3" of insulation will be sufficient. But the moddo around here is "insulate! insulate! insulate!" so if you can afford any more insulation around the dome it won't hurt. But yes, 3" is plenty around your 4.5" thick dome.

Darius
    Last edited by KINGRIUS; 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Re: Dome/Hearth ratio

I agree on the floor; lay the bricks flat. The 2 inches of insulation board is more than adequate. One area of deviation is the thickness of the dome. If just for pizza's then a 2.5 inch thick dome would work fine too. Note the geodesic design for example. The thinner design will heat up faster (significant?) but hold less heat for extended baking. I went with the 4.5 for more mass and dome stability. Note my opinion is to be taken without any expertise behind it. I built an oven. But, that is where it ends.

I ordered 2 boxes of insulation blanket and doubled up on my 36 inch dome. I liked that route as opposed to all the bags of vermiculite it would have required. I think the 2 boxes gave me about 5-6 inches over most of the dome. I ran it up the sides of the arch and chinmey also. Enclosing the oven versus an igloo finish will play a role though. I did the enclosure and wasn't too precise with fitting the blanket. The first layer is snug and the rest flopped on.

The 16 inch dome cooks pizza's very nicely. But, I would have to experiment with a taller dome to compare the behavior differences. So many variables come in to play when making what I consider the perfect pizza. That is the art aspect.

Enjoy your build.

Comment

Working...
      X