web analytics
Wooden wedges - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Wooden wedges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden wedges

Can you leave the wooden wedges in, or do they have to come out.

Re: Wooden wedges

where are these wooden wedges located?
    are they shims to hold up the bricks on the outside of
    the dome?

maybe atattch a pic so we get a better idea.

Comment

Normally the shims used in dome construction are taken out and replaced with mortar. Otherwise they'll burn! And the extra mortar makes it stronger.
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

You could make your shims out of fire brick I suppose...but that's a lot of very precise cutting.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I was going to use the wooden shims but I was able to do without. I gobbed extra mortar on the top back of the brick already set and tapped the new brick down 'till it was in position. The mortar was able to hold it without the shim. Then I would spread the extra mud that gushed out the back into all the voids.

Comment

Originally posted by KINGRIUS View Post
            I was going to use the wooden shims but I was able to do without. I gobbed extra mortar on the top back of the brick already set and tapped the new brick down 'till it was in position. The mortar was able to hold it without the shim. Then I would spread the extra mud that gushed out the back into all the voids.

I do the same then take a pointing tool to compact the mortar. Haven't had a brick fall out....... yet.

Comment

I tried using shims at first, and abandoned them after the first 2 rings. They were actually less accurate than just shaping the mortar with the trowel by eye.
              -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

I also tried using the shims and decided they didn't help much after the first couple of courses. I just put a bit more mortar in than I needed and tapped the brick with the back of the trowel until it matched the string. That didn't work if I got the mortar too wet, but learning how much water to put into the mortar came pretty quickly -- during the first couple of courses.

Joe
                Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Working...
                X