web analytics
Stainless vs Steel support for over the door bricks - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Stainless vs Steel support for over the door bricks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless vs Steel support for over the door bricks

Just wondering if the piece of 2 inch by 2 inch steel channel used to support the row over the door will deteriorate with multiple exposures to high exhaust gas temps. Is stainless worth the price or does it matter i.e. is the dome ultimately self supporting in this area? Your expertise appreciated.

Strength of steel

Steel loses 90 percent of it's strength at around 800 degrees c. or 1450 degrees f. This is the figure for mild structural steel, of the sort that home depot angle iron would be made of. It will also rust in a hot and corrosive environment. Stainless would be resistant to corrosion, but may not be any stronger in high heat environment.

That said, a lot of pompeii ovens have been built this way, and we haven't heard of any failures yet. If you are concerned, you could use a refractory casting, or build a fire brick arch instead. James has also said he will sell the flue part of the manufactured oven separately.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
    X