web analytics
Is this the right stuff? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Is this the right stuff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the right stuff?

I found a local supplier of vermiculite, and just wanted to make sure that this would be good for base and dome? and if so how much? seems kinda expensive ($25/18lbs)

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ150057635
    Heres a pic

heres the Material safety data sheet for it, it doesn't look like it contains silicone or other not so good stuff

http://sungrohorticulturalincomefund...ite%202009.pdf

Re: Is this the right stuff?

That's about twice what I paid.

You may have better luck looking for a supply house for green houses. Pool builders may have some extra but it may have portland already mixed in with it.

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

See if Uline has a distributer in your area. 4 cu ft bags are $26 each

Comment

is this the stuff ?

4 Cubic Foot Bag Of Grade 4 Vermiculite S-3393 - Uline

if so which grade

Thanks

Comment

Thats the stuff. I had a heck of a time finding a local source, let alone someone who knew what vermiculite even is! One gut told me he thought it was a sandwich topping. Uh yea right! U line shipped out four bags to me 4.0 cu. ft each. I think the cost total was $120. It arrived as promised in 2 days. Oh, BTW the grade 4 is fine

Comment

That's it. I used 4 bags in an 8" thick x 48" x 70" insulated slab

Comment

U line is definitely more expensive than some sources but they have it, are easily located, and the shipment is painless (other than money). When I built my insulated slab I spent several days searching locally to no avail and finally gave up and ordered from U-line. I think it is well worth checking with garden suppliers and such locally but...I certainly wouldn't spend days again!
              Jay

Comment

Awesome, Thank you very much for all your reply's. I will be going probably tomorrow as there is one about 20min away from me, do you think the larger or smaller particles will work best. I was thinking the smaller

Thanks again

Comment

One thing to consider as I just re-read your first post. Vermiculite weighs very little. It's used as a shipping protectant and spill absorbent. A 4 cu ft bag only weighs about 7-8 lbs so you may want to see how much in volume your other source is for the 18 lbs. Just a thought.

Comment

I purchased my 4 CF bags from a local horticulture shop. I found the distributor for Perlite\Vermiculite in Michigan through the Perlite website and they directed me to the closest place near me. $25 a 4cf bag sounds crazy. I paid $7.

Give these guys a call and they should be able to direct you to a local source. They will probably have both Perlite\Vermiculite, but it does not matter what you use.

Perlite Institute, Inc.
                    Scott...
                    Smuth's Build
                    www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

The grade 4 on uline.ca weights 19LBS, now I'm just confused lol

Comment

don't sweat it. I probably remembered incorrectly. Uline has a huge distribution warehouse about 30 miles from me so I picked the bags up myself and did not have to pay a shipping cost.

Comment

Working...
                        X