web analytics
vermiculite/cement 5:1 question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

vermiculite/cement 5:1 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vermiculite/cement 5:1 question

Sorry if this one is old. I can't find it.
    I keep reading about mixing vermiculite or perlite with cement at 5:1. What are we measuring? 5 what to 1 what?
    Thanks

Re: vermiculite/cement 5:1 question

By volume.

For example, five shovel fulls of perlite and one shovel full of cement.

And just enough water to make it "workable".

Comment

mixing of materials is always assumed by volume unless otherwise specified, such as by weight

Comment

so for example if I know it took so many bags of cement to make my structure slab, I can just sort of estimate how many bags it takes to make a slab of a certain size and apply that to the verm/cement mixture? So if I want to replicate the area of the slab, all I have to do is replace some of the cement with the vermiculite for the same total?
        Thanks
        Kim

Comment

For all practical purposes the volume of the vermiculite (say, a four cubic foot bag) will be the volume of your vermiculite concrete. The portland doesn't take up that much room.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks. Very helpful. How did we ever get by before the Internet?
            Kim

Comment

Before the internet I think we ordered out for pizza.

I poured my insulating layer last Friday and found for the 36 inch oven it took all of 3 four cu. ft. bags of Perlite to fill my forms to the 4 inch level.

Comment

I'm finding it won't take much too. Maybe four or five - tops. And I think $8.75/ 4c.f. bag is probably reasonable.
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X