web analytics
can I do both Portland layers days apart? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

can I do both Portland layers days apart?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I do both Portland layers days apart?

Assuming I am going to do a vermiculite/Portland hearth insulation layer above the straight Portland structural layer, is it absolutely necessary to do both at the same pour, or same day? I imagine the only real reason for this would be for the concrete layers to adhere to one another better, but if the first (structural) layer is not smoothed, is roughed up, wouldn't that provide enough adhering strength? Can't I do both layers, say, a week apart provided the first layer is prepared in such a fashion? The concern has mostly to do with available finances as well as not deciding fully on what I'm doing about insulating.

Re: can I do both Portland layers days apart?

You could do it the same day, or wait 10 years. Concrete will adhere to itself rather well, and it is not really necessary to adhere anyway. A lot of weight will be holding that layer in place for a long time.

This may not be my last wood oven...

Re: can I do both Portland layers days apart?

Thanks. That's exactly what I thought. I appreciate the input.