web analytics
Castable Refractory Insulation - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Castable Refractory Insulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castable Refractory Insulation

Hi Everyone,

Today I came across a Harbison-Walker castable refractory insulation, Greenlite 45L. It comes in a 55lb bag is listed on eBay for around $38. The link to it's
    thermal characteristics is:

GREENLITE-45-L PLUS 55# BAG - 10023

I'm about to pour my foundation and support stands for a 42" Pompeii shortly and I wonder if anyone has used this kind of product to insulate under the oven floor?

Cheers,

John

Re: Castable Refractory Insulation

The linked site shows the product at 72 pounds per cubic foot, so you would need a lot of bags. You're going to need a bag for every two square feet if you're pouring a four inch layer. If it were me, and it was a cost-no-object situation, I'd go with the insulation boards. And, if you're mixing the stuff up anyway, why not use the proven vermiculite/perlite solution and save a bunch of cash?
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Castable Refractory Insulation

David,

Looking at the numbers, you're absolutely correct: This stuff IS expensive. I'll go with the vermiculite. Thanks!

John

Comment

Working...
      X