web analytics
Castable Refractory Insulation - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Castable Refractory Insulation

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castable Refractory Insulation

Hi Everyone,

Today I came across a Harbison-Walker castable refractory insulation, Greenlite 45L. It comes in a 55lb bag is listed on eBay for around $38. The link to it's
    thermal characteristics is:

GREENLITE-45-L PLUS 55# BAG - 10023

I'm about to pour my foundation and support stands for a 42" Pompeii shortly and I wonder if anyone has used this kind of product to insulate under the oven floor?

Re: Castable Refractory Insulation

The linked site shows the product at 72 pounds per cubic foot, so you would need a lot of bags. You're going to need a bag for every two square feet if you're pouring a four inch layer. If it were me, and it was a cost-no-object situation, I'd go with the insulation boards. And, if you're mixing the stuff up anyway, why not use the proven vermiculite/perlite solution and save a bunch of cash?
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Re: Castable Refractory Insulation

Looking at the numbers, you're absolutely correct: This stuff IS expensive. I'll go with the vermiculite. Thanks!