web analytics
Portland/Vermiculite question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

I'm Peter Reinhart! Ask Me Anything! Monday, February 15, 2016 7:00-8:00 pm EST

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

Ask Me Anything New Forum Feature

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Portland/Vermiculite question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland/Vermiculite question

Hi, Popped in the final keystone tonightconfused. I'm curious as to whether I should apply the cement/vermiculite now, or wait until the fire clay has cured somewhat, or until after I fire cure the oven. Hopefully I can entice a neighbor to take some pics so I can post them.

Re: Portland/Vermiculite question

You need to keep your dome covered and damp for at least a week before you begin heat drying. Whether to cure before or after the insulation is in is a matter of some dispute. With the vermiculite concrete, which retains a LOT of water, you may want to dry it out afterwords.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hmmmmm... ok, I understand about keeping the dome damp, have been since the soldier course. Because the oven will be 'housed' I was wondering if a portland/vermiculite mix is a good way to go. I have a full 12" of free base for insulation and was considering just pouring loose vermiculite for the full void. The framing for the 'house' is full 2*8 and I was going to insulate that with R40 fibreglass. The roof section will allow a full 24" of insulation above the dome. The reason for all this is the -30 winter weather we get, and the fact that the oven will be used 5 days a week. I'm just being mindfull of the wood use. Any comments gratefully appreciated.
      Ian

Comment

If your oven is in a leak-proof enclosure, you can just pour in the vermiculite loose. You probably want to put angled sheets of some non-combustible material in the corners to reduce the volume of material you use.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Excellent, thank you!

Ian

Comment

Working...
          X