web analytics
Portland/Vermiculite question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Portland/Vermiculite question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland/Vermiculite question

Hi, Popped in the final keystone tonightconfused. I'm curious as to whether I should apply the cement/vermiculite now, or wait until the fire clay has cured somewhat, or until after I fire cure the oven. Hopefully I can entice a neighbor to take some pics so I can post them.

Re: Portland/Vermiculite question

You need to keep your dome covered and damp for at least a week before you begin heat drying. Whether to cure before or after the insulation is in is a matter of some dispute. With the vermiculite concrete, which retains a LOT of water, you may want to dry it out afterwords.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hmmmmm... ok, I understand about keeping the dome damp, have been since the soldier course. Because the oven will be 'housed' I was wondering if a portland/vermiculite mix is a good way to go. I have a full 12" of free base for insulation and was considering just pouring loose vermiculite for the full void. The framing for the 'house' is full 2*8 and I was going to insulate that with R40 fibreglass. The roof section will allow a full 24" of insulation above the dome. The reason for all this is the -30 winter weather we get, and the fact that the oven will be used 5 days a week. I'm just being mindfull of the wood use. Any comments gratefully appreciated.
      Ian

Comment

If your oven is in a leak-proof enclosure, you can just pour in the vermiculite loose. You probably want to put angled sheets of some non-combustible material in the corners to reduce the volume of material you use.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Excellent, thank you!

Ian

Comment

Working...
          X