web analytics
Cutting Clay Flue - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Cutting Clay Flue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Clay Flue

I have been looking for the thread but cannot find it. I am looking to cut my Flue out of clay 13x13 flues. I was reading in a post about cutting them and tapering them to work properly. Does anyone have any experience cutting them and what should I know?
    Thanks for the help..

Re: Cutting Clay Flue

I used a angle grinder with masonry blade. Worked pretty well, but kicked up some of the nastiest orange dust I've ever seen. Wear adequate safety goggles and a good respiratory mask.

I followed the lead of dmun

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-765.html POST # 95

good luck
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

I used an angle grinder with a diamond blade. It is nasty but not anything to worry about. My thread may have some pix or info, but I know Les' thread does. Its not really a big deal.

Mark

Comment

It's an angle grinder job, as mfiore and exceloven said. There's some pictures of the process on my build, linked below.

Just a question: 13 x 13 is a huge flue, far larger than any oven needs. Is there a reason you're using such big tile? That's what they make for huge mansion sized fireplaces.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The 13x13 is all that I could fine around here. I find that odd but that is it. Cutting it was a whole lot EZ'er than I thought it would be. I was able to taper the flue the way I wanted and cut to fit the dome also. Should not worry so much and just do it…..
          Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
          X