web analytics
Vermicrete over Blanket - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Vermicrete over Blanket

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermicrete over Blanket

Hi folks I am at the stage of putting the blanket on the dome. I have been reading the forum and just want to make sure I get this right based on peoples experiences.

I plan on putting some foil paper over the dome which has been parged with about 1 inch of high heat mortar. Then cover the foil with the blanket. Then put about 2 inches of vermicrete over the blanket. Does this approach sound right?

1. How do I get the blanket to stay on?
    2. Looks like people use chicken wire over the blanket as a lathe. Would cermamic tile lathe do or are the holes too small? Do I need a lather at all?
    3. Next the vermicrete is 2 inches OK or should I go more? I saw someone post that they did a mix of 1/2 fireclay, 1 cement and 5 vermiculite to make it stickier. Is that a good mix?
    4. Should I not be concerned that the blanket is getting covered by a wet substance? Won't the blanket getting wet cause a problem? Or should I cover it with foil as well before the vermicrete?

Check out my build at:

Re: Vermicrete over Blanket

I did not parge much of my dome. I was trying to get as fast a heat up as possible and wasn't too worried about baking.

I also did not use foil to cover the dome.

As a result my blanket pretty much stuck to the dome. I'm not sure the foil is necessary.

I ran some galvanized wire across the dome in a crisscross pattern to keep it in place.

any left over pieces of the blanket were used to cover once again the top 2/3rds of the oven.

If you can, I'd go a little thicker on the vermicrete - seems that there is never enough insulation!

Last edited by christo; 08-21-2008, 06:37 PM.
    My oven progress -

Hi tdibratt,
      it sounds like you have been reading my build as I went through everything except the foil with my build.

permalink #8 to answer all of your queries. Also hints and tips on getting that difficult cement to work and stick!
      As far as the blanket getting wet, the vermiculite cement although a paste consistency will not 'soak' the blanket and will easily dry out especially if you cure your oven properly and carefully.
      I would not touch the foil as it will not permit a bond with the oven and constituents but leave a potentially weaker thin shell around it.
      I can see it serve absolutely no usefull purpose, only make your life difficult.

Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1
      Neillís kitchen underway

I don't think the foil is necessary. Here's what I did,
        • Put the Blanket directly on the dome - you'll be surprise how well it stays on.
        • I then used a little wire to keep it place but probably wasn't necessary.
        • I did use chicken wire to help keep the shape and hold the perlcrete (like vermicrete)
        • I used 2 " of blanket (3" on top) and 3-4" of perlcrete
        • Stick to 5 parts of portland an 1 part vermiculite - you'll be fine.
        • The blanket will dry out - no worries

Good luck.
        Attached Files

Originally posted by thebadger View Post

Stick to 5 parts of portland an 1 part vermiculite - you'll be fine.
          Dont you mean Stick to 1 parts of portland an 5 part vermiculite ??