web analytics
Curing Fires - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Curing Fires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing Fires

Okay...the keystone is in on my 36" Tuscan and it has been just sitting there out of the weather for the last 3 days. I have a mind to make the first curing fire tomorrow.

Now, what I have seen on this forum is that the curing process involves a series of 7 fires over 7 days starting with a 100 F degree fire and ending with a 800 F degree fire. It seems that the curing can be done either with or without the insulation. So, what are we measuring...the temperature of the bricks or of the air inside?

I did install a couple of thermocouples...one in the cooking floor and the other one about 4/5 of the way up the dome...both should be about 3/4 inch from the inside surface of the firebrick. If I use the thermocouples to measure the temperature, should I rake out the fire a little in advance of it reaching the desired temperature (to not overshoot the mark) or should I wait & see the target temperature before killing the fire?

Thanks...Bob

Re: Curing Fires

Never mind...I just found the sticky posts on curing.

Looks like i need to wait a few more days before lighting a fire anyway. Bob

Comment

Working...
    X