web analytics
Concrete slab size - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Concrete slab size

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete slab size

Due to the end size of my eventual oven my concrete slab size will be at least 88in x 96in. I'm wondering if (1) I should plan on stabilizing the slab with a greater amount of rebar rods than what is recommended in the oven plans, and (2) should make the overall slab thickness greater than is recommended in the oven plans?

With regards to the cement used, do most people just use bagged concrete or do they add aggregate such as gravel? If so what approx. size gravel is used?

FYI, I live in southern Connecticut where winters CAN be hard, however not as of late. Still hard freezes can be expected anytime from DEC thru MAR.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Concrete slab size

The amount of rebar depends on depth and width of the foundation. Your worst freeze will dictate this. As for the rebar, many of us likely overkill the area where rebar is established.

For cement, this again depends on the depth, width, and how much help, what time of year you do it. Mine was on the large size, 2ft. deep by 1 foot wide due to potential hard freezes, and I have clay that goes deep here. I had my brother-in-law helping me, and we uses a 1cu.yd. mixer bought from H.D. We also bought sand, gravel, and portland cement to mix.

As for visuals on the rebar, look at many of the ovens that show that rebar and judge as well. Mine is here too.

I hope I helped some.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:

Hi Jeff, I live in Southbury Ct. and I'm in the planning stages for my oven. I was wondering how deep are you going to dig your footings for your slab? I would like to compare notes since we are in the same state.
      Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
      Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
      Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

I would give you local redimix guy a call. Check out prices for having it delivered, and ask all the questions you posed here including frost line and whether or not footings would be advisable in your area. He can also alert you to any code issues to consider. My guy was very helpful during that first inquiry call.