web analytics
Keeping Concrete out of Cells - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Keeping Concrete out of Cells

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Concrete out of Cells

Hello All:

Building First Oven here is Takoma Park Maryland. Got the cement blocks in place last weekend and filled the required "core cells" with concrete for strength. I hope to build the form for the first concrete layer this weekend.

I have no idea if this question is way off the mark, but here goes:

In pouring the intial concrete, can I expect that a bunch of it will pour through the open cells on the top of the last layer of cement blocks? It would seem like there would be a good deal of waste if much of the concrete pours through this rather wide openings.

If anyone has a trick or technique to keep this from happening, it would be much appreciated. I will be snapping some pics this weekend, and hope to post early next week,

Thanks very much in advance,

Jim

Re: Keeping Concrete out of Cells

Jim,

I know a lot of people who just stuff their empty cement bags in the cells to fill the void or being one who went overboard on the cautious side, I filled every core with cement. I believe most builders opt for filling the empty cores with the bags or other loose material.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesdifede View Post
      In pouring the intial concrete, can I expect that a bunch of it will pour through the open cells on the top of the last layer of cement blocks? It would seem like there would be a good deal of waste if much of the concrete pours through this rather wide openings.

If anyone has a trick or technique to keep this from happening, it would be much appreciated. I will be snapping some pics this weekend, and hope to post early next week,

Jim
      I filled my empty cells with the empty bags from the Sacrete that I used to fill the other cells. And then a bit of sand/gravel. Not much.

You can fill em with just about anything to keep the hearth concrete from running into them.

Sand, gravel, dirt, newspaper, a time capsule.... whatever is available.

Congrats on the beginning of your oven! It's a heck of a fun project.
      Remember to post pics.(We like em around here)
      Good luck, and keep asking questions.
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Jim,

The plans recommend that you use old concrete bags to fill in the cores you don't want filled. I read there are plastic "fillers" but haven't found any yet.

Good luck
        Dick

Comment

WHoa....those responses were quick and much appreciated. I guess a little common sense goes a long way....should have thought of that myself.

Thank you for your replies. I will post as I go.

Regards,

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X