web analytics
Are these firebricks the right weight? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Are these firebricks the right weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these firebricks the right weight?

We're all set to start building the oven floor. I decided to double check our red firebricks and compare them to the yellow ones I bought for another project years ago.

The red firebricks are 8 5/8 " by 4" and weigh 6.3 pounds apiece.

The yellow firebricks are slightly larger-- 8 7/8" by 4 3/8" and weigh 7.5 pounds.

Does the weight of the red firebricks sound right? Low duty? Medium duty?

Thanks very much!

P.S. I am taking photos of my oven every step of the way. I'm in the middle of "work stuff" and "life stuff" right now, so posting them is beyond my abilities.

I really appreciate all the support and advice that's on this forum!

--DB

Re: Are these firebricks the right weight?

Sounds about right: The weight thing is to warn people off the kind of insulating firebricks used in ceramic kilns, which would weigh under two pounds. I believe that you'd need a scientific scale to determine the alumina content in brick - they would all look the same to a postal scale.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Are these firebricks the right weight?

Thanks very much. That's a big relief!

I have another question, which I'll post separately, because it's about the insulfrax blanket. The supplier I've called has it in 2" x 24" x 12.5' in 3 weights--4 lb, 6 lb, and 8 lb. I'm inclined to go with the heaviest, but maybe that's overkill.

I'll post this question separately.

DB

Comment

Working...
      X