web analytics
Rockwool vs Insulfrax? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Rockwool vs Insulfrax?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwool vs Insulfrax?

Hi,

Rockwool and Insulfrax seem to have similar max temp specs (about 1000 C). Any opinions on using Roxul for the dome insulating blanket? Roxul is readily available at Home Depot here.

Re: Rockwool vs Insulfrax?

The difference between these 2 products is the rockwool is harmful if inhailed where as the insulfrax is not.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I just read a bunch of postings here that state that Insulfrax fibers is safer when inhaled.

My house's walls are full of Roxul right now. Yikes!

Comment

Just don't inhale. More specifically, don't tear into your walls and inhale without a mask. As long as you've got a wall between you and the insulation it is harmless. The risk is to the installer and the demolition contractors. They get to wear masks.

Comment

I think that saying Roxul (minereal wool) is "harmful" is kind of vague and possibly misleading. As far as I know (and I could have this all wrong) there have been no studies that have concluded that mineral wool causes cancer or any long term health effects. If it did I don't think Home Depot would be selling it. That said, I use a mask at work when ANY insulation is being installed or removed because of the short term iritation and the fear that they may find a link to cancer down the road. To me it does't matter which insulation I use for my brick oven, I will be weariing a mask when I do it.

I kind of thought the Roxul idea was a good one. Wouldn't the R value be much greater that using a fiber blanket and vermiculite or perlite?

Cheers, John
          "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I think we are talking more about scarring in the lungs from mineral wool, not cancer. Again, a problem that can be pretty well managed by using a good mask during install, and is a bigger issue for regular installers, not for most of us.

Comment

What kind of price difference are we talking here?
              http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

I haven't checked Insulfrax pricing here in Canada yet, but I did find a price here at Forno Bravo.

You can get a 96 sqft bundle of Roxul Safe and Sound for about $30CAD which is about $0.31/sqft. Forno Bravo sells 1" Insulfrax at $150/50 sqft roll ($3USD/sqft or about $4CAD/sqft). (Apologies in advance to our gracious hosts from Forno Bravo).

I'm thinking that you can box-in the dome and stuff the cavity with Roxul.

Comment

Working...
                X