web analytics
Mortar Joint Confusion - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Mortar Joint Confusion

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortar Joint Confusion

I am ready to start cutting my bricks & having been surprised at the ease & accuracy of my saw have decided to go the extra mile & taper cut the individual bricks But in order do do that I must calculate the joint thickness. I will be mixing my own mortar with fire clay & calcium aluminate.

Here's my confusion, The refrax instructions recommend a 10mm minimum mortar joint, (for some reason this makes sense to me.) while most of the posts are using or recomending minimal joint thickness 1/8 or less or even that the bricks touch.

I would like a thicker joint for a couple of reasons

1 I think it looks better, I noticed the thicker joint on the Artigiano & I like that. I intend to build a free standing dome so I can access the inside & chase the joints to a smooh transition between each brick.

2 When I match up the firebrick entry with the tudor brick facade there will be a major desrepency in the joint size & therefore difficulty in aligning the top arches. I guess I could design around this on the Facade.

Thanks for the input Chris & Christo, apologies for my ongoing confusion.

Re: Mortar Joint Confusion

Usually firebricks are bigger than domestic bricks so that in, say a fireplace, the bigger firebricks with a thin joint can line up with common bricks with a half inch joint. Wasn't an issue for me because I lay my entry bricks on edge.

I haven't used refrax, but heat-stop works like a champ with minimal joints, 1/8 (3mm) or less.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Re: Mortar Joint Confusion

Thanks Dmun,

I've been following your posts on line. Amazing work!