web analytics
A Real Newbie question - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

A Real Newbie question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Real Newbie question

Hi all,

I'm about to mix and pour the the 3 1/2 inch concrete hearth, per the Pompei oven PDF. But before I do, I want to be quite sure that I'm using the right concrete.

I plan on using Sakrete High Strength Concrete mix, which is a mix of gravel, sand and portland cement, I assume in a 3 -2-1 ratio.

Am I missing the boat here? Should I be using just sand and cement?

Please advise...

Thanks

Re: A Real Newbie question

You do NOT want just sand and cement.
    High Strength Concrete mix sounds like the right product.
    I wouldn't recommend fast setting concrete.

Have you already built the stand? Or is this pour the foundation under a stand? What reinforcement are you using? What did you do for drainage? (I assume that'll be a potential problem in FL)

Some advice: Start a build thread. Post lots of pictures.

Comment

yes, you want high strength concrete mix. 3 1/2 inches is reasonably thin. High strength concrete is used for counter-tops and is especially important to use if you have any parts of the heath that extend out and are not directly supported underneath.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I thought Sakrete was the right product, but I wanted to be sure, before I lugged 18 more bags of concrete from the Depot.

As I noted, this slab will be for the hearth. The slab for the base has already been poured and the blocks stacked, filled and bond coated. once I get the hearth poured, I will finally be able to start the fun stuff.

I'll start to post pictures as soon as I have something that is recognizable as the beginnings of pizza oven.

Thx and regards

Comment

You are probably on track and doing it but if not, make sure and use rebar. There is a lot of weight on the hearth slab. More weight than people realize.
          Darin

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
          WC Fields

Link to my build

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html

Comment

Hi Novaslo

Listen to all the above and I will add once the base is layed, troweled and now going off if it is extremely hot I would, like I did put some wet towels over it and keep them wet. I did this for a fortnight so it goes off slowly. But it was 40C when I layed mine for about a month [or at least it seemed like that]. Haven't got one crack not even a hairline one but then again mine is over 12inch thick [due to position more than anything].

Cheers
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
            X