web analytics
New guy starting my wfo - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

New guy starting my wfo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy starting my wfo

Hello all,

After many months of reading and looking at all your wonderful
    photos, I have started my WFO on my patio.

I could never match the workmanship I have seen here,
    but I will do my best.

2 questions please?

I am building a 32 inch Pompeii oven.

The chimney (flue) must go straight up through my patio ceiling
    then through the attic space and upward through the clay roof tiles.

Is a 6 inch diameter chimney large enough?

Very expensive from Dura Tech....almost 1200 dollars!!!

2nd question is: Can I use pre-mixed refractory mortar?

Thank you,

Richard

Re: New guy starting my wfo

Hi Richard

Welcome!!

1. Yes. 6 inches is enough. I have a 32 inch Pompeii with a 6 inch chimney. If you go through the roof and attic you need double-walled chimney. It does not need to be stainless steel - and it will cost far less than $1200-.
    2. Which pre-mix? Home made is cheap and easy and it works - almost all builds on this site use home-mixed.

Good luck!!

Comment

Thank you,

I live in South Florida, I was told I have to use stainless steel once
      I go through the roof tiles and up?

You are saying I could go with galvanized all the way?

Comment

Good luck with your new build. I have a 42" oven with 4'x8" flu with cap and anchor plate. This cost just less than 500.00 - it is stainless because it is showing. In your case it sounds like galvanized will be fine.

I was able to get the forno Bravo kit which came with thier expensive mortar. I used that for 80% of my build until I ran out. This mortar was much better to work with than I was able to make myself. So research what thier mix is and copy the recipes trying for a finer easier mix to use.

Next, buy an 8.00 Mortar bag off of Amazon. This was a life saver when trying to deal with Mortar. I would mix right in the bag, shake it up and start squirting my mortar into joints and voids. It was a total life saver. I opted for Mortarless on the inside, Lots' of precise cuts, and Mortar on the outside. Squirting it in and using a spray bottle to finish it really worked well.

Good luck.
        Darin

I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food...
        WC Fields

Link to my build

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html

Comment

Like others have said, I would use the stainless only where it will be seen and the cheaper where not being, makeing sure that it is all double wall.

For what its worth, I used a pre-mixed refractory mortar from a local supplier "Onex" that worked great. I saw it as a time saver that it would be ready for me too use at anytime I had the time to build. It was $38.75 for the 50lb pail and I used 6 pails for my 42" Pompeii. The Onex mix came in 5 gallon pails that only needed a quick mix before use and so far after two summers of use I've had no problems. Just my experience.
          Last edited by hodgey1; 07-15-2014, 09:40 AM.
          Chris

Link to my photo album:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Working...
          X