web analytics
perlite - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perlite

I have managed to get c400 grade perlite to mix with my cement for my ovens first insulation coat over the dome, does any one know if c400 is ok and if so do I use at a 6:1 ratio, or is it too fine. thanks Ugo

Re: perlite

Sorry, I don't know what C400 is but the ratio for perlcrete over the dome is usually leaner than 5:1. The more cement you put in the brew, the less insulating it will be. I use 10:1 which is enough for it to be still workable.Some folk go even leaner. Also I find a half perlite half vermiculite makes up a more workable mix than either of them alone for some reason. For every 10 parts you will need about 3 parts water.It's thirsty stuff
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

thanks for that, will give it a go and see how I get on. Would you advise just 1 coat or more I have a 100 ltr bag of it so have lots I can use.

Originally posted by gaetanin View Post
        thanks for that, will give it a go and see how I get on. Would you advise just 1 coat or more I have a 100 ltr bag of it so have lots I can use.
        you don't say how big your oven is, or whether you are relying on perlite as your only insulation material. Are you using a CF blanket under the perlite too?
        4/3 x pi x r x r x r = volume of a sphere. Work out outside volume and subtract inside volume then divide by two because it's a hemisphere. Also add 20% because perlite volume will be reduced on mixing with cement and water.I like to do the layer about an inch and a half thick, then let it dry for a week before adding the next layer and so on. This way you can eliminate the water more easily later.
        Last edited by david s; 08-02-2013, 10:51 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

I am building a 36in interior dia oven and trying to keep within the forno bravo instructions as much as possible, that's not been as simple as you would think as some of the materials are difficult to come by and can also be quite expensive here in NZ so far I have spent way more than ever intented. Yes I will be using a blanket thank you for your help I will reassess my notes before I progress any further.