web analytics
Installing Insulation Board - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Installing Insulation Board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Insulation Board

I am building a 42" Pompeii WFO using the plans that FB provides. The plans go into detail with the Vermiculite method and applying a thin underfloor paste for the cooking floor. It also shows a insulation board placed on top of a wet hearth. My hearth is dry. MY QUESTION: If your hearth is dry and your using insulation board, is it OK to just place the board down and then place the 18" x 18" bricks on top? This means that the igloo is just "floating" on top of the hearth and there is nothing sticking it in place. I guess the weight would keep it all in place but not sure how to proceed. If I need to level things what should I do in this situation. I hope the board comes very flat??????

Greg

Re: Installing Insulation Board

Greg,

You can level the board using some dry clay and a notched trowel. You may have to shuffle them around a bit to get it level. Just sit the floor tiles on top - trust me, it will not go anywhere.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I did the same all dry and my floor bricks were suprisingly level

Comment

The problem is that the firebricks for the floor are often of an uneven thickness. The clay layer under them (wet or dry) allows you to achieve a flat floor surface. Usually the mix is a 50/50 sand, clay layer.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X