web analytics
Mortar problem - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Mortar problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortar problem

So I was concerned about my home brew. I laid about 15 bricks and then stopped. A few days later I checked them and they seemed okay, strong and didn't move. I tripped the other day when I was setting up to do some work and grabbed the top row to break my fall. I felt the bricks move. They are all still in the correct position but I can tell 3 mortar joints let go out of the 15 or so bricks. So there is basically 3 sets of bricks stuck together. I plan on going over the entire outside of the oven like others with some extra home brew.
    So the question is do I need to rip out the old and start over or can I touch up those joints/bricks and skim the outside of all the bricks?

Your thoughts, comments and expertise are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Mortar problem

It doesn't seem like it would be a lot of trouble to remove a few brick and reset them...the would be the best thing to do.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Do I replace them all or do I just clean up the joints that broke and re mortar them? Just trying to get some feedback since I should have some time tomorrow to work on it. Thanks!

Comment

No need to redo ones that are still bonded.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
        X