web analytics
Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.


To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

    Hey Gang, im getting closer to firing up the oven, so i need some thermometers. I need a IR gun, a standing oven thermometer and a thermometer for a future door. What do you have? what recommendations can you make? Preferably like to order from Amazon. Thanks
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

    My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

  • #2
    Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

    I went cheap on my stuff, because that's just the way I am. Both from Amazon (prime):

    Oven Thermometer - Amazon.com: CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

    IR Thermometer - GM550 Non-contact IR Infrared Digital Thermometer - Measurement Range: Between -50 °C and 550 °C (Between -58 °F and 1022 °F)-LED Back lLight Design Equipped with Laser Pointer - Amazon.com

    The IR gun defaults back to C when it turns off, however the button on the face changes it back to F. That's the only concern I had with it. It has a very bright laser, I can cast a beam on any house I see.

    Kevin

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

      Originally posted by okn View Post
      I went cheap on my stuff, because that's just the way I am. Both from Amazon (prime):

      Oven Thermometer - Amazon.com: CDN High Heat Oven Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining

      IR Thermometer - GM550 Non-contact IR Infrared Digital Thermometer - Measurement Range: Between -50 °C and 550 °C (Between -58 °F and 1022 °F)-LED Back lLight Design Equipped with Laser Pointer - Amazon.com

      The IR gun defaults back to C when it turns off, however the button on the face changes it back to F. That's the only concern I had with it. It has a very bright laser, I can cast a beam on any house I see.

      Kevin

      Thanks Kevin,

      I did see that oven thermometer you posted in your thread, i guess ill just get that one. As far as the IR Thermo goes i think id rather get something with a little more quality? if that even matters? as there are some factors with accuracy? Thanks again.
      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

      My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

        I know Tel Tru makes some quality stuff so ill look into that also. It can be a little pricey however.
        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

        My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

          Harbor Freight for your IR thermometer. You can get them for as little as $24.95 if you watch the sales. And it works just fine. I have had for over a year. no reason to pay more

          Our hosts have an in door thermometer that works well and is about the only one I found that has the range you want + a the screw fitting is nice.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

            I paid $19 for a Tel Tru that goes to 1000degrees, not pricey at all.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

              I know the better IR guns have a tighter measuring spot at a longer distance and some have a higher measuring range. I don’t know if either one of those will be much use to you or not. For me, the IR gun is really fun, great at trouble shooting possible hot spots or seeing where you may be losing some heat, and cooking pizza. Fluke is usually a consistently good brand. The oven thermometer is great for anything with the door on. Door thermometer would look great and probably be more or less the same as an inside/oven thermometer. I’m interested in what you choose for the door; please let us know.

              Kevin

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

                Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                Harbor Freight for your IR thermometer. You can get them for as little as $24.95 if you watch the sales. And it works just fine. I have had for over a year. no reason to pay more

                Our hosts have an in door thermometer that works well and is about the only one I found that has the range you want + a the screw fitting is nice.

                Ive seen the HF IF Thermo. I was thinking about getting that one, what is the temp range?
                Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

                My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

                  Hi guys, in UK we have a swedish firm called Clas Olsson, they do a Flue Gas Thermometer which runs up to 500c. A few of us guys have them in our doors. There is a 250mm long probe off the back of the dial, that reads the internal air temp.
                  maybe with the use of the Interweb, you'd be able to purchase one?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

                    Bookemdanno,

                    That is one gorgeous door! Thanks for sharing!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

                      Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                      Ive seen the HF IF Thermo. I was thinking about getting that one, what is the temp range?
                      Goes to 950 or 960. Beyond that it shows "NR" or something like that. I figure once the temperature is that high, I don't need to know. The IR thermometer is primarily for reading floor temperatures, which seem to max out in the 800's - and for this purpose it works really well. You use it to tell when the temperature is good for pizza (in lieu of the "flour" test), and to read the various zones of floor heat for baking or roasting

                      Here is a link to a chapter of The Art of Wood Fired Cooking that I found really helpful in explaining different oven "states" and the use of the IR thermometer.

                      Pretty cool that this whole book is on Google books. I have the hard copy but I just saw that this is available for free for online reading!
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

                        Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
                        Hi guys, in UK we have a swedish firm called Clas Olsson, they do a Flue Gas Thermometer which runs up to 500c. A few of us guys have them in our doors. There is a 250mm long probe off the back of the dial, that reads the internal air temp.
                        maybe with the use of the Interweb, you'd be able to purchase one?

                        Thanks, that is a nice door. I may or may not get a door thermo, well see. I guess a standing thermo should be enough? unless i bake bread, i dont want to have to keep opening the door to check the temp
                        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

                        My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

                          Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                          Goes to 950 or 960. Beyond that it shows "NR" or something like that. I figure once the temperature is that high, I don't need to know. The IR thermometer is primarily for reading floor temperatures, which seem to max out in the 800's - and for this purpose it works really well. You use it to tell when the temperature is good for pizza (in lieu of the "flour" test), and to read the various zones of floor heat for baking or roasting

                          Here is a link to a chapter of The Art of Wood Fired Cooking that I found really helpful in explaining different oven "states" and the use of the IR thermometer.

                          Pretty cool that this whole book is on Google books. I have the hard copy but I just saw that this is available for free for online reading!


                          Thats awesome man thank you.
                          Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

                          My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

                            I also bought the GM550 IR thermometer that okn linked to. Works fine for me. I don't think it's super accurate, and it will sometimes get mis-calibrated or something and read everything 20-30 degrees off in one direction or the other. If I were trying to find hot spots in plumbing or electrical systems, it would be useless. But I'm not--I'm trying to tell if the surface of my oven floor is 500F or 800F, and it works a treat for that . For brick oven purposes, I don't think it pays to invest much in quality here. If it turns on and goes up to 900F or so, it will do just fine. Either the GM550 or the HF model should work well.
                            My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Need 3 Thermometers: Recommendations needed

                              Thanks for the recommendations.
                              Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

                              My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X