web analytics
What do you have for Insulation - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

What do you have for Insulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you have for Insulation

    I'm just wondering what everone here did for insulation under their oven floor? How many incheds of insulation board, firebrick island like the FB plans, refractory concrete etc... Also would you have done more for insulation looking back on your project.

    Thanks
    Link to my oven build on YouTube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

  • #2
    Re: What do you have for Insulation

    4" of 8-1 perlcrete, don't need anymore or any less.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What do you have for Insulation

      I will have 4" of Cal-Sil, might even have enough to put 6" of it.
      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

      My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What do you have for Insulation

        Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
        I will have 4" of Cal-Sil, might even have enough to put 6" of it.
        Is this basically the insulation board Forno Bravo sells and indicates using 2" of? Would Fiberglass Insulation Board work?
        Link to my oven build on YouTube:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What do you have for Insulation

          Originally posted by K79 View Post
          Is this basically the insulation board Forno Bravo sells and indicates using 2" of? Would Fiberglass Insulation Board work?
          I think FB sells Ceramic fiber, so no its not the same. I cant comment of the fiberglass, im not sure. sorry.
          Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

          My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What do you have for Insulation

            Don't experiment, get creative or try to go cheap on your floor insulation. It's absolutely the MOST important element of your oven. Use FB Board, CalSil or vermiculite/portland cement. Follow the instructions in the plans.
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

            Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

            Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What do you have for Insulation

              Under hearth. 100mm Hebel Blocks ( aerated cement blocks)

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What do you have for Insulation

                I'm trying to get the exact name so I can look it up online and share it. It's from a place that sells this sort of stuff and works with firebrick all the time. Definitely not cheap. Going to cost me about $300 for my oven. I'll post when I get the name of it.
                Link to my oven build on YouTube:

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What do you have for Insulation

                  I got my insulation from these guys. Pacific Insulation - Industrial Products - Pipe Insulation, Air Handling/HVAC, Industrial Insulation, Commercial Insulation, Insulation Fabrication. Each board cost $10. So you may save money if you order from them and have them ship it over. Or you can find someone local to you that has Calcium Silicate boards like these. I got 13 boards, which cost me like $140 and some change.
                  Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

                  My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What do you have for Insulation

                    Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                    I got my insulation from these guys. Pacific Insulation - Industrial Products - Pipe Insulation, Air Handling/HVAC, Industrial Insulation, Commercial Insulation, Insulation Fabrication. Each board cost $10. So you may save money if you order from them and have them ship it over. Or you can find someone local to you that has Calcium Silicate boards like these. I got 13 boards, which cost me like $140 and some change.
                    Since the oven floor rests directly on the insulation what heat rating should the board be though? How hot does the average WFO get on the floor?
                    Link to my oven build on YouTube:

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What do you have for Insulation

                      Originally posted by K79 View Post
                      Since the oven floor rests directly on the insulation what heat rating should the board be though? How hot does the average WFO get on the floor?
                      Cal-Sil is rated to 1,200 F. You wont/don't need to reach those temperatures in a WFO.
                      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

                      My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What do you have for Insulation

                        Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                        Cal-Sil is rated to 1,200 F. You wont/don't need to reach those temperatures in a WFO.
                        Ok, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't possible to accidently fire it up with too much wood and exceed 1200 degrees.
                        Link to my oven build on YouTube:

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What do you have for Insulation

                          Originally posted by K79 View Post
                          Ok, I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't possible to accidently fire it up with too much wood and exceed 1200 degrees.

                          It is possible, just throw in more wood, But why?
                          Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

                          My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What do you have for Insulation

                            Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                            It is possible, just throw in more wood, But why?
                            Just thinking ahead.... nice fall afternoon, 3 year old and a 1 year old drawing your attention (for good reasons of course) and not realizing how hot your oven is getting. Just thinking of what could happen that's all.

                            Here's a link to the board I can get my hands on. This look ok?

                            Kaowool High Temp Board:

                            http://www.fabricationspecialties.com/pdf/hightemp.pdf
                            Link to my oven build on YouTube:

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What do you have for Insulation

                              That board is fine, but use sand as leveling bed not mortar (low alkaline resistance).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X