web analytics
Concrete Counters - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.


To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Concrete Counters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Concrete Counters

    Moving on, good luck everyone.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-09-2014, 10:36 AM.
    Russell

    Link to my Picasa Album
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10287...21083003687777

  • #2
    Re: Concrete Counters

    Russell, did you find the tools necessary to accomplish this concrete polishing online? Which tools did you use? This is a useful thread!
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

    If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.
    Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is here.
    An album showing our Thermal Breaks is Here.

    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Concrete Counters

      I am going to pour a 2.5" counter for an outside cabinet within a few weeks. It will have a marbling technique that might interest you.
      Old World Stone & Garden

      Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

      When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Concrete Counters

        Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        I am going to pour a 2.5" counter for an outside cabinet within a few weeks. It will have a marbling technique that might interest you.
        Thanks Utah for putting this thread together.

        I'm in the infant stages of planning my concrete counter tops. I look forward to seeing your marbling technic and following the threads. Will that be a pour in place or cast upside down?

        I want to cast a 2" upside down its seams that it would be a little easier to form, especially for a pretty much a rectangle. The same size on both sides of my oven. One side will have a under mount sink opening. Can I use the same form for both? What is the minimum width of the concrete needed around the sink?

        The counter in front off my oven will be quite complex It might be better to cast in place.
        Respectfully,

        KB

        My build
        Oven Pics (album under construction)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Concrete Counters

          Upside down.
          Old World Stone & Garden

          Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

          When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Concrete Counters

            Originally posted by kbartman View Post
            Thanks Utah for putting this thread together.

            I'm in the infant stages of planning my concrete counter tops. I look forward to seeing your marbling technic and following the threads. Will that be a pour in place or cast upside down?

            I want to cast a 2" upside down its seams that it would be a little easier to form, especially for a pretty much a rectangle. The same size on both sides of my oven. One side will have a under mount sink opening. Can I use the same form for both? What is the minimum width of the concrete needed around the sink?

            The counter in front off my oven will be quite complex It might be better to cast in place.
            A one and a half inch counter is sufficient for strength, and would be much easier to flip. From what you described, you can use the form for both sides. But, that will be days apart on separate pours. You will need to take precise notes if you are mixing in color to make sure they match.

            I agree with Stoncutter. To be a perfect match to the counters, the counter in front of your oven will need to be an upside down also. Don't let it's complex shape scare you. Take a piece of 1/4" luan (or cardboard even) and make a template. Turn it over and make your form to fit the template .
            I don't care what folks say behind my back........They are either braggin' or.......lyin'

            joe watson

            My Build
            My Picasa Web Album

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Concrete Counters

              No matter the thickness of the counter, don't overlook full support underneath it.
              Old World Stone & Garden

              Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

              When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Concrete Counters

                Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                No matter the thickness of the counter, don't overlook full support underneath it.
                Are the counters not set on a bed of mortar or sort to facilitate leveling and anchoring?

                I was hoping to keep the counter in front of my oven up a bit to allow the flashing under the vent area bricks to channel any water intrusion into vent area, under the counter top away from the insulation and out the front. I was figuring small beds of mortar about a foot apart.

                On my cabinets tops I'm figuring a 2x4 front and back and 2X2 on 16" centers.

                What are you considering full support?
                Respectfully,

                KB

                My build
                Oven Pics (album under construction)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Concrete Counters

                  Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                  Are the counters not set on a bed of mortar or sort to facilitate leveling and anchoring?

                  I was hoping to keep the counter in front of my oven up a bit to allow the flashing under the vent area bricks to channel any water intrusion into vent area, under the counter top away from the insulation and out the front. I was figuring small beds of mortar about a foot apart.

                  On my cabinets tops I'm figuring a 2x4 front and back and 2X2 on 16" centers.

                  What are you considering full support?
                  2x2 is a bit flimsy...use 2x4 for everything.


                  Mine cabinet is going to be framed with 4x4 oak timbers...for aesthetic & design reasons....and the substrate beneath the concrete is going to be 3/4" pt plywood, felt, then 1/4 perma base.

                  Like natural stone tops, you don't need to adhere concrete counters down with mortar or glue....silicon is all that is needed. If your counter is outside, then make sure to get exterior grade....better yet use Lexel, it's the best.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

                  Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

                  When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Concrete Counters

                    Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    2x2 is a bit flimsy...use 2x4 for everything.


                    Mine cabinet is going to be framed with 4x4 oak timbers...for aesthetic & design reasons....and the substrate beneath the concrete is going to be 3/4" pt plywood, felt, then 1/4 perma base.

                    Like natural stone tops, you don't need to adhere concrete counters down with mortar or glue....silicon is all that is needed. If your counter is outside, then make sure to get exterior grade....better yet use Lexel, it's the best.
                    Thank for the great info..........You choice for 1" of substrate.......Wow......Am I missing something?.......Although it was you that commented on: Error on the side of safety:......... Caution there is wisdom in that.......................... Glad to see you practice what you preach...........
                    Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                    I'll error on the side of safety.
                    Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    That said, you won't go wrong if...
                    There is wisdom in caution.
                    Cant wait see your marbling. Do you have a deadline or time frame set?
                    Respectfully,

                    KB

                    My build
                    Oven Pics (album under construction)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Concrete Counters

                      Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                      Thank for the great info..........You choice for 1" of substrate.......Wow......Am I missing something?.......Although it was you that commented on: Error on the side of safety:......... Caution there is wisdom in that.......................... Glad to see you practice what you preach...........



                      Cant wait see your marbling. Do you have a deadline or time frame set?
                      I'm doing that so I can get away with less support in the middle. I may eliminate the durock, but I'm definitely going with 3/4" pt.

                      My deadline is ASAP....we are putting the house on the market as soon as I wrap up these lose ends. On top of this I have a pretty good punch-list for inside work. I'm halfway through the master bath remodel now......
                      Old World Stone & Garden

                      Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

                      When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Concrete Counters

                        Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

                        My deadline is ASAP....we are putting the house on the market as soon as I wrap up these lose ends.
                        Moving Ouch.............. What about Your beloved WFO?...........Your leaving another beauty behind?......... How many is this? ..............I lost count.......... Your Wood Fired Redux is a master piece of perfection......What is her perfection not good enough?..............You're gone to get a reputation as a WFOnizer

                        Good luck on the move.
                        Respectfully,

                        KB

                        My build
                        Oven Pics (album under construction)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Concrete Counters

                          Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                          With all the great builds past, present and future, there is a natural evolution to "raise the bar" so to speak. WFO builders on this Forum are innovating, experience and creative, using new or reusing old materials in ways not thought of even a year ago. So with the encouragement of one of mentors during my build (Lburou aka Lee), I decided to build a thread and album that focuses on "concrete counters" whether they be hard troweled or wet polished or who know what someone will think of.

                          I myself am in the middle of doing a polished concrete counter with crushed glass. There are others at various stages on counter top construction. So as I develop this thread, please let me know of other builders I may have missed so I can incorporate their experience and ideas into this thread. Just the start.

                          I catergorized concrete counters/decorative pouring into several area:

                          Outside the Box Concrete
                          Gulf - Mississippi - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...4-a-17062.html
                          Steve - North Carolina - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...tml#post105389
                          Stonecutter - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/m...tml#post148709

                          For those without links I am working on them and will edit soon. This is a preliminary list and all comments and links are welcome.
                          Utah,
                          I've just finished studying the Outside of the Box threads and thought I would make a few comments. On Stonecutter's and Steve's threads it was very easy to find info on the concrete counter. Lot of good info thanks. As a time saver for others I've included a link to where Gulf started to talk about his. Page 26 post #254 Gulf and Stonecutter and others had a lot of good discussion on how to, material and ideas on Gulf's thread. I thought if you liked and approve, the link could be in your original post as a time saver. My plan is to study all the other threads and categories. I briefly clicked the other links and most of them started at post #1 of the threads. If its ok as I go threw them, as time permits and I will post a link for were I think the concrete counter begins. Or the author could do the same. I think this work be a great addition to your thread and a great time saver.
                          Respectfully,

                          KB

                          My build
                          Oven Pics (album under construction)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Concrete Counters

                            Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                            Moving Ouch.............. What about Your beloved WFO?...........Your leaving another beauty behind?......... How many is this? ..............I lost count.......... Your Wood Fired Redux is a master piece of perfection......What is her perfection not good enough?..............You're gone to get a reputation as a WFOnizer

                            Good luck on the move.
                            This will be the second personal wfo I leave behind. Not bothered a bit, now I get to build another... I have big plans, for the base especially. Big changes planned for the next one overall.

                            I appreciate the comments about my work, the craft is very important to me...and it is nice when clients, family and forum members like what I make.

                            This time I'm building a small temporary one until the permanent one gets built, so there isn't a big gap in wfo use. I also have another for a client, so I'll be busy this year.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

                            Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

                            When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                            John Ruskin

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Concrete Counters

                              Stonecutter, you should be proud, your work is singularly fantastic. I can't wait for the next oven.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X