web analytics
Wood Fired Beehive in Utah - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Moving on, good luck to everyone. In haste, and a knee jerk reaction, I deleted my thread so at least I can do is give future WFO builders reference to my Picassa Album.

Picassa Album Link
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/10287264...43690731037496
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-20-2014, 08:47 AM.

Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Looking great. I'm in Sandy. Where are you? You can look at my build here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/co...s-16434-8.html

Comment

Damn Russel,

I wished I wasn't one of the pioneers on this site. When I jumped in we were just hoping the thing would stand. What you and others are doing is just incredible! Good luck with the rest of it.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Russell,

I too salvaged my bricks from Geneva, what a find !! I used a large brick/block saw and they cut pretty well. My design is a barrel design. It works well. I used the large bricks, 4 1/2X8X18 or so for my floor and a bunch of smaller tapers for my barrrel. I even found 4 half arches for my openings. I am in Bountiful if you ever get this way. Our oven is not fancy but it works well. Keep us all posted.

Derk

Comment

I used the classic 3:1:1:1 (sand : fireclay : portland cement : hydrated lime) and it worked perfectly. I have extra brew materials if you want them.

Comment

No problems here. The oven cooks fantastic pizzas. I posted an example on page 15.

Comment

Those bricks look familiar. We set our floor bricks 4.5 X7X18 on their edge so our floor is 4.5" thick. We also make great pizza. A while back we had a family get together on a sunday and leaving the coals in and closing the door we had fall off the bones whole turkey tuesday night. Keep things a little moist as you go along. Things really dry out quick here. Go easy on the curing when you get to that point. I think that I cheated the devil and did not do as many small fires as is recommended. I see no cracks or any other signs of damage.

We were also luck to get tapered bricks for my vault, did not cut a one for it. it is also 4.5 thick.

Good luck,

Derk

Comment

Looks like you have things well in hand Russell

I like the use of those recycled bricks. I don't think the high duty bricks act much different than low duty bricks for our purpose, its just that they will go to a much higher temperature and stay intact. Our ovens don't approach the temps that will compromise even the low duty bricks. That is what I've read anyway.

You have a neat operation there, you must be a 'detail' person.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.
                Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is here.
                An album showing our Thermal Breaks is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
                  Lee,

Thanks for the feedback and compliment. BTW, I thank you for putting the "treasure" achive link together to highlight some of the best builds in the forum. I used these links as becnhmark for my build. Unfortunately, good or bad I am a perfectionist. I think more than I do so my work is and will run in spurts.

Russell
                  Glad that thread was useful to you! The oven construction is a fulfilling and pleasurable journey, enjoy it.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I poured an 8" top slab. Directly under my oven a 4" deep depression was formed in and eventually filled in with the infamous perlcrete concoction. In hindsight I think that I would lower the stand a little and put some type of insulated board underneath as well. You can never have too much insulation. You can't add it underneath when you are done.

If I have a really good fire, the slab eventually acts as a heat sink and the ceiling of the wood space underneath the oven heats up quite good.

We still have good pizza and other things, even with the few flaws that are there. The ovens are very forgiving once you get to know you oven.

Derk

Comment

Corner builds look so . I really like the monolithic arch poured with the hearth. Mine is not a corner build but that is the way I attacked the lintel over the wood storage.
                      Its looking great, will stay tuned .
                      I don't care what folks say behind my back........They are either braggin' or.......lyin'

My Build
                      My Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thank you Utah,
                        I don't call it an "enclosure" though. I really like many of enclosures that I have seen on this forum and I really like many of the Igloos too. I decided to split the difference.
                        I don't care what folks say behind my back........They are either braggin' or.......lyin'

My Build
                        My Picasa Web Album

Comment

Hey Russell,

The build looks great so far. I am just a few hours north of you in Eastern Idaho. I will be watching your build closely.

Good luck!

Nate
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Hey Russell,

You said you have more pics of your base build...where can we find them? I am very interested in your design (since it will probably fit my yard better) and storage area. Let me know where I can find them.

Thanks,

Nate
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

A great start! I sent you a Private message.
                              Lee B.
                              DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X