web analytics
DIY Tuscan Grill Questions - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

    I have a porcelain coated cast iron grill that I want to put some legs on to make a Tuscan grill.
    Any suggestions on what people have used for legs? I was thinking of using some big carriage bolts anchored in some small square firebrick pieces for feet.
    There are some metals that I should avoid though, right?

    Thanks!
    Toby

  • #2
    Re: DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

    Originally posted by charger10s View Post
    I have a porcelain coated cast iron grill that I want to put some legs on to make a Tuscan grill.
    Any suggestions on what people have used for legs? I was thinking of using some big carriage bolts anchored in some small square firebrick pieces for feet.
    There are some metals that I should avoid though, right?

    Thanks!
    Ideal material would be stainless or un plated (no zinc) bolts, but the jury is out as to weather the amount of zinc or the heat in the oven is able to vaporize the zinc, zinc is toxic as a vapor and breathed, but the heat of the oven is not high enough to vaporize zinc and the operator would unlikely be able to breathe the high temp gases coming off the oven.

    Zinc is naturaly occurring and is consumed in some foods, in low quantities it is not known to cause any issues, the effects of zinc poisoning from welding (very high temp) are temporary but significant and that is from breathing the fumes.

    Chip.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM.
    Chip

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

      If we are only talking about carriage bolts/nuts and can't locate them in unplated or SS. Find an open area, start some charcoal in a temporary firepit, and place them in the burning coals. The zinc will be gone well before the coals cool off .
      joe watson

      "A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

      My Build
      My Picasa Web Album

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

        Legs made of bolts (or anything else) will bend out of shape pretty fast unless they are thick enough. For example I've found out that 1 cm (0.4 inches) square iron bar is not sturdy enough to avoid some bending when heated in the oven.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

          Originally posted by Laku View Post
          Legs made of bolts (or anything else) will bend out of shape pretty fast unless they are thick enough. For example I've found out that 1 cm (0.4 inches) square iron bar is not sturdy enough to avoid some bending when heated in the oven.
          I will deal with that should it happen by putting a short piece of black steel pipe over the bolt, a washer will allow me to go to any diameter of pipe required; but I believe 1/2 inch steel gas pipe should be more than adequate.

          Chip
          Chip

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

            I used 1/4" bolts because that is the size that neatly fit the slots in the grill plate. It's four years old and the bolts have not bent. I think because of conduction the grill plate acts as a heat sink and they would never get anywhere near red heat.The bolts are also pretty short.Chip, if you put some pipe around the bolts then you won"t be able to easily adjust the height. suggest you try it first to get the height you want then add the pipe if you want.
            Last edited by david s; 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

              B
              Originally posted by david s View Post
              I used 1/4" bolts because that is the size that neatly fit the slots in the grill plate. It's four years old and the bolts have not bent. I think because of conduction the grill plate acts as a heat sink and they would never get anywhere near red heat.The bolts are also pretty short.Chip, if you put some pipe around the bolts then you won"t be able to easily adjust the height. suggest you try it first to get the height you want then add the pipe if you want.
              David, since I have 2 of them I might make two different heights but for now I will just stay with the bolts at the same height, BTW why is yours so low, is it hard to have coals under the grill?

              Chip
              Chip

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

                The reason it's so low is because my oven is really small and I don't have much height in the door.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

                Comment

                Working...
                X