web analytics
Weight Questions - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

New Forno Bravo Forum Feature

Forno Bravo Forum Community,

You will notice a new forum at the top of the main page called, "Ask Me Anything". This forum will be used for live one hour "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) sessions hosted by people who are knowledgeable in different areas pertaining to wood fired ovens. How it works:
- Each AMA will have a "sticky" thread where the community can post questions they would like answered during the live session. This will allow everyone to participate even if you can't be online for the live session. These questions will not be answered by the host until the live AMA; if you need an answer quickly, you should post it in the appropriate Forum area for the community to respond.
- Another thread will be posted for the live AMA. Registered users who are logged in during the live session can interact with the host by asking questions and receiving responses.
- The live thread will remain in the AMA forum to view after the session.

To kick off our AMA feature, we have invited author, chef and master bread maker and host of Pizza Quest, Peter Reinhart, to be our first host! Peter will be in the Forum on Monday, February 15th, from 7:00 - 8:00 pm EST. If you are unable to be online during the live session, you can post your questions in the sticky post. Peter will answer those questions during the live session on February 15th. You can view Peter's answers to your questions as well as what happened during the live session in the session thread.

We hope you enjoy this new feature! Please let us know if there is a topic that you'd like to have as an AMA and we'll look for a host!

Forno Bravo
See more
See less

Weight Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Questions

I am currently in the process of outfitting a food trailer with a wood fire oven, I really would like to build a pompeii oven inside the truck, but am concerned about the weight, would have to be big enough to do 4-5 pies at a time. I could do a relatively lightweight metal frame base stand, but the oven and cooking surface I am curious if anyone has specs on weight? I am trying to decide between building my own oven or going with a kit - so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Weight Questions

I'm assuming a 42" oven will hold 4-5 individual pizzas. Maybe others can confirm as I'm just planning my build. Bricks weigh anywhere from 7-8lbs, depending on the type a brick you use. So the 200 bricks (based on the pompeii plans) needed for the hearth and dome would weigh 1400-1600 lbs.

I would say use lighter weight, modern insulation. Also I've seen portable ovens around town clad in light weight Stainless Steel "scales" that were pretty nice looking. It's a great treat to have a wood fired pizza at a music festival!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by flippinsweet View Post
      I am currently in the process of outfitting a food trailer with a wood fire oven, I really would like to build a pompeii oven inside the truck, but am concerned about the weight, would have to be big enough to do 4-5 pies at a time. I could do a relatively lightweight metal frame base stand, but the oven and cooking surface I am curious if anyone has specs on weight? I am trying to decide between building my own oven or going with a kit - so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
      Hi:
      It would seem that a kit would be stronger and easier to build and safer. If you need it permitted you would have to have a engineered set of plans I would think a kit would be engineered. Also you could put in as much insulation as you want. If you are not a Mason or really good at brick work then time might be a issue also. Most if not all problems are manufactured out of kit's and you could get a better idea of weight as you will know what is shipped to you. Also you will have a real idea of what you add. I would be more concerned with vibration with a plan build as opposed to the kit.
      Hank

Comment

Weight is an issue if you retrofitting an existing trailer. Vibration (and subsequent cracking) would be a bigger concern if you're using bricks.
        My oven (for now):
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Thanks all - i hadn't thought about vibration as an issue with cracking, still hopeful about doing a custom build as oppossed to a kit, but still mulling pros and cons, thanks and more knowledge and feedback is certainly appreciated.

Comment

been really struggling, but after much investigating it appears many mobile WFO are pompeii style builds - though they are done on smaller flatbeds, and I am looking at doing mine inside an airstream.

In terms of cracking issues - what might be thoughts about preventing this during the pre-planning and build. I do have a friend who is a professional mason, so I will not be flying totally blind on my own skills, but ANY thoughts of what I might plan for before hand are appreciated.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X