web analytics
Electrical Question while planning my build - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Electrical Question while planning my build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Question while planning my build

Hello everybody,

I am still in my planning and design phase of my WFO and I need some help. I want to run a power line to my WFO but I can't afford to build the oven AND dig up then replace my conrete patio to make it possible to have power out there. In order to get around this problem I am thinking about wiring the entire thing as if I was running an underground power line to it but also setting it up so that I can just run an extension cord to it and plug it in to get my power. The things that could potentially need power might include a few lights, an audio system (speakers, iPod dock, etc.) and anything else I might think of.

So my questions are...does anybody have any idea if this will work? And has anybody tried this before? I have no electrical, building or masonry skills but I have found this forum incredibly helpful so far and I am anxious to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Nate
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Re: Electrical Question while planning my build

There is no reason it wouldn't work. I would use a heavy gague exterior, grounded cord and use a GFCI circuit. I would venture a guess that it wouldn't be to "code"... but physically it should work.

Comment

Thanks cholme. I am glad to hear that it should at least physically work. I will talk to a relative who is an electrician by trade and see what we can put together.

Thanks again!
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

I was at a local home show some years ago and looked at some BBQ islands that are built and delivered to your home for my yard. It had a stereo and outlets in it - and I asked how they recommended wiring it.

To my surprise - they showed me that they hardwired a plug into one of the outlets - a male end of a plug. They said to just "plug" that into the end of an extension cord. It worked just fine - although I'm surprised they wired and sold a product like that.

The plug was wired to one of the outlets - and then the rest of the unit was wired with 14/2 Romex.

It's the same concept as a "suicide cord" (named for obvious reasons). Here's one:

Amazon.com: 14 Gauge 2 Male End 3 Prong 2 Foot Extension Cord: Home Improvement

I can't believe they make these things - it's like having bare wires for someone to grab . . .

Don't try this at home folks - it's dangerous.
        Last edited by Cheesesteak; 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Wow!!! That plug just seems like an accident waiting to happen. I have seen people jerry rig things like that, but I wouldn't have though someone would sell them. A much safer way seems like either to hardwire a cord to a j-box and just plug it in when you need it... or if you want a detachable cord, use a plug like those used for a computer printer. I don't know what gague wire they are and it would require a bit more wiring as you would need the male and female end.

Talk to your electrician friend. I would advise against the double ended male plug... you could potentially have 120volts of exposed wires in your hands if you don't pay attention.

Comment

NEVER EVER EVER use a double ended male plug!!!!
            Your electrician friend should be all the help you need....Underground 12/2 (just to be safe) in a concrete sawed trench will be fine unless you go around the patio in the dirt...same wire....
            They sell the pre-wired units just to sell the units....regardless of safety...

Comment

I built a structure wired just this way; UF wire to the outlets/switches, etc. on one end and a gfi outlet on the other (ground it w/ a grounding rod). I plug power into the gfi and it powers all of the ther outlets/switches. Has worked great for years with no problems. I only run a few hundred watts on it though.

Comment

Working...
              X