web analytics
Freezing temps before curing fires...worried! - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community


1 of 2 < >


Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:


Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Freezing temps before curing fires...worried!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Freezing temps before curing fires...worried!

    I'm within days of finishing our oven dome. We live in a four-season climate and had freezing temps a few nights last week. I put an insulated blanket over the still-wet dome with a tarp over the top of that and a small, oil heater inside to keep the mortar from freezing. The oven temp was about 70 over those days. There was effluorecsing on the mortar, but it was easily wiped off. It has warmed again, but sustained freezing temps are just a few weeks away. Curing is going to put the first firings well into the 'freezing days' range. I worry about thermal shock if it's fired while still moisture-laden in freezing temps., but I don't want the moisture remaining to freeze either. Should/can I repeat the 'blankets/tarp/heat' for the winter and recommence in the spring?

    I travel a lot and won't have the time needed in the next few weeks to mind fires. This project was begun in the spring of '09, so I don't mind waiting if it means success over failure.

    Any ideas out there?

  • #2
    Re: Freezing temps before curing fires...worried!

    I would go ahead with the firings. It is best to drive out the excess moisture and get your refractory mortar hardened off before leaving it for the winter.


    • #3
      Re: Freezing temps before curing fires...worried!

      Neil2, thanks for your reply. I have a week to wait for the mortar to cure with what looks to be reasonable temps (mid 40's at night, 60's during the day). If I run short of time on the curing fires before leaving out of town for work, do you think I can depend on the first 2-4 firings to drive moisture out, cover and start from the first firing again come spring?


      • #4
        Re: Freezing temps before curing fires...worried!

        Use a 100watt bulb with door close for 8 hours and watch how hot it gets you will be suprised.... then use 300 watt bulb,,,,,, then 500watt bulb ...... all for 8 hours each and after that use a small fire and start and you will be GOLDEN


        • #5
          Re: Freezing temps before curing fires...worried!

          I would put the light bulb in it and not worried one bit about the mortar curing for another week less then 200 degree will not hurt the oven one bit. then go on vacation or wherever you are going and then do your wood firing when you get back....



          • #6
            Re: Freezing temps before curing fires...worried!

            Chris, thanks for your input. I'm going let the mortar cure as long as I can with a high-watt light bulb, probably for the next 2-3 days then move to the heater before leaving out of town for work for 2 weeks. The newest mortar is only a few days old, so hopefully I can keep it warm and curing while I'm gone, as the forecast is for periodic freezing temps over that time period. Then I will start a week of firing around Thanksgiving and but the project to bed until it warms up again. Here's hoping...!


            • #7
              Re: Freezing temps before curing fires...worried!

              Use the bulb and DONT WORRY ONE BIT Look at my Curing and Look how i cures it ...... The way I did it was Constant Temp with out zero change for 8 hours heat 16 hours cool for 7 days I never used wood