web analytics
Vent Opening Size and Construction - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Vent Opening Size and Construction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent Opening Size and Construction

I am starting to think ahead to the vent design and construction and have a few questions and I can't find the answers in other threads.

First, is there a vent opening size ratio? In other words, if I am building a 42" high dome oven (and I am) and use the opening size of 20"x12.5" as recommended, do I need a vent opening size of ? square inches?

Second, if I opt for the concrete vent construction do you need a special concrete mix or just basic concrete mix?

Thanks in advance

Re: Vent Opening Size and Construction

I think you take the square inches of the inner arch and use 10% of that for your vent opening. Just as your inner arch height is 63% of the dome height (the so called golden mean). As far as planning ahead, think of the inner arch. I think the whole dome is built around it.

Good Luck

Tom

Comment

That does not sound right to me. by your calculation that would be 250 square inches of the opening (if rectangle and not arched) 10% is 25 sq inches of vent so that is like a 5"x 5" opening? I'm no expert but that sounds small to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lhuhn View Post
        Second, if I opt for the concrete vent construction do you need a special concrete mix or just basic concrete mix?
        Yes, you need to use refractory cement mix as the vent gets extremely hot.

I designed and molded my vent using Rutland castable refractory cement.
        Attached Files
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Yes, you shouldn't use portland concrete for your vent transition. Way too hot.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

The 10% ROT is for fireplace openings/flue size, but the same principle applies. It is always better to err on the side of larger, though.

Comment

Working...
            X