web analytics
Padding out the soldier course? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Padding out the soldier course?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padding out the soldier course?

Hello

I'm using unusual shaped fire-bricks to build the dome. They are quite thin, only 2" thick, 9" x 8". I've cut them in half to make the soldier course .

They will be cut into quarters to build the rest of the dome. Giving me plenty of thermal mass.

Back to the soldier course. I want to add more depth to the 2". I was thinking of padding it out with normal/standard concrete. I will build a round former/shuttering (as we call it in the UK) around the bricks then pour in the concrete.

I know it's not ideal and a little un-orthodox, but I don't have enough bricks to double up for more thickness.

My only concern is how the concrete will hold up to the heat? The fire-bricks are facing the fire and I have seen concrete used to add thermal mass on bread ovens. I've also seen it used to strengthen the soldier course on a large commercial pizza oven. I have my fingers crossed I have a solution

Any advice/feedback will be appreciated

Mick

Re: Padding out the soldier course?

Why use a soldier course? I would cut them in quarters and stack the first 3 or so courses straight up.

George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I agree or at the very least why not cut them in half either on the 8" or the 9" then you would have at least 4 or 4 1/2" thickness? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've revisited/re-calculated and have plenty of bricks to do the soldier course narrow side in. It means loads of cutting, but I'm in no rush

Comment

Working...
        X