web analytics
My build - stainless lined barrel dome or traditional? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

My build - stainless lined barrel dome or traditional?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My build - stainless lined barrel dome or traditional?

Hello all,
    I just started my wfo build and this site has been an incredible source of information. Thank you!
    I have the base, lower form, steel frame, concrete (with re-bar) lower deck and upper perlite / portland (5:1) insulation deck poured.

I am at a stand still as fire bricks are very hard to come by in my area. I was able to purchase 60 full sized bricks and I know that is not nearly enough to complete a "traditional" brick dome. I would like to build a fairly small oven - 25" round or "24 barrel vault design.

Here are my current options:
    I have a 55 gallon stainless barrel that I can cut in half length (top to bottom) to form a stainless liner. It would be a 24" x 35" barrel dome.
    I also have a 15.5 gallon beer keg (heavier stainless) - 14" x 24" barrel dome when split.
    Would it be possible to cover one of these liners with dense refractory and then cover that layer with insulating refractory (perlite/portland mix) and perhaps some ceramic blanket?

I have also considered building a form and pouring my own cast-able refractory. An old-timer mason told me that equal parts portland, sand and fire clay would make the best castable (1:1:1); however, I read that others have used a different mix?

The time aspect of building a form, cutting barrels or sourcing more bricks to build a fire brick dome - all seems to be about the same amount of effort. What are your recommendations, thoughts on these options?

Thanks in advance...
    Attached Files

Re: My build - stainless lined barrel dome or traditional?

photo:
    ...with perlcrete insulation deck and granite prep shelf.
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X