web analytics
Forming dome (Refractory) - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Forming dome (Refractory)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forming dome (Refractory)

I have now formed the dome of my oven using sand but I'd like to finish it in Plaster, What can I use to seal and hold the sand in place? I was thinking of paper mache? What other materials can I use?
    Attached Files

Re: Forming dome (Refractory)

I used strips of wet newspaper over the sand, then cast onto that. It gives you a pretty good surface on the inside of the casting and any newspaper left behind will burn away. I think you'll have a hard time breaking a plaster crust away from the inside of tHe dome no matter how much release agent you use.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Striking the dome will not be a problem as is will be segmented into 5 equal pieces and one large piece. I have mold release agent which we use at work but I see the peri and doka type formwork pans have a (Greasy) wax coating on them which seems to last at least 2 pours So I was thinking of using the wax and release agent. The door arch will be difficult to strike from the form I know but hey, that's what I do for a living, Just hope I don't destroy the form whilst removing the concrete.

Comment

"Just hope I don't destroy the form whilst removing the concrete." Sounds like you want to reuse your mould, in which case a plaster crust is highly unlikely to survive. Make a fibreglass mould if you want to do more than one dome.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X