web analytics
Arch Construction - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Arch Construction

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Construction

I have finally gotten to the point where I am starting the arches on my Alan Scott style oven and have a question regarding them. With everything that I have read and looked at on the internet, it looks like you can mortar in the first dome chain and immediately remove the form and start on the second.

Am I reading the instructions correctly or should I leave the form in until the mortar has had time to harden? If it can be removed right away is their a sagging effect that i need to watch out for?

Re: Arch Construction

Theoretically you can, but in practice I wouldn't. But then, I would never build it like it is shown in those plans anyway. Stack bond is inherently weaker than running bond, so your form should be long enough to do either all of the arch or at least one third of the arch.

I have discovered another lie on the TV. Laying brick is not as easy as it is played on TV, unless you are tscarborough !!! Neither is sheetrock mudding or laying tile. Practice makes better, I guess.

How long did you leave your barrel forms in? Is one week enough? I am up to two days with misting and plastic on it the whole time. Also, chimney, on your cap that seals the top, how do you keep the mortar from sliding down the outside of the clay flue tile?

I will be checking the bees this week, hope they have been very busy.

I took it out the next morning. I filled the chimney with perlite, then put lath on top of that.