web analytics
fire brick hearth - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

fire brick hearth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire brick hearth

I have some bricks that are uneven on the hearth and was wondering if anyone knew what the best way to level/plane those down . That being said after reading this forum every night until my wife takes the mac out of my sleeping lap I feel certain that many of you know the remedy. I await your response and appreciate each of you.

Wayne in Austin Texas

Re: fire brick hearth

Use a belt sander - I bought the cheap belts at Lowes.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

thanks would a grinder with diamond cup work as well?

Comment

I guess that depends on the skill level - I found that my grinder tends to go where it wants. The sander is easier for me to control.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

wrs
          Also depends on the size of the cup...small one will be very easy to dig in to the bricks...larger one would be easier to handle...but I would follow Les' recommendation...look at that beauty of an oven he built!!!
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Try a masonary grinding disc for your angle grinder rather than a diamond cutting blade, it shouldn't dig in so much and you should be able to operate it at a flatter angle.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Some people are more at home with a belt sander but for myself I prefer a "square face" on a sander/polisher. Unlike a round disc it's just about impossible to cut a "smile" using it and you end up with a really flat surface. Sand paper by the sheet is much cheaper than by the belt too with a larger selection of grits.

Wiley

Comment

Thanks again to all of you . This is an amazing site and knowing that this much experience is around made it so much easier to jump off the ledge and start this project. I am not sure how you have time to post pictures as you go but I will catch up in that area soon.

Comment

Also, remember the factory surface of the firebrick is harder than the interior: I recommend only abrading the edges that actually are catching the peel, instead of trying to sand the whole floor.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I have a few bricks that are prouder than others.

Never got around to sanding them down. - with the herringbone pattern, I don't seem to have any issues with the peel catching any...

To me - I'd go with it and see if it becomes a problem before I'd fix it.

Christo
                    My oven progress -
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X