web analytics
Dome Construction - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Dome Construction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Construction

Hi all,

Im on my 3rd reading of the oven plan. I want it to sink in before I embark on my journey. Ground is still a little moist here in MA and I plan to start digging here pretty soon.

One question keeps coming to mind.......Im petrified once I get to dome construction phase. I think the styrafome jig looks like the easiest way for me.
    Being a non mason and all.

Does anyone feel there is a better way to ensure a quality built dome for someone that know absolutely nothing about brick laying?

Eddie

Re: Dome Construction

Hi Eddie,

Don't panic. It really isn't as hard as it looks! After a course or two, you'll be a pro.

I used a Styrofoam (foam board) form to help keep things going in the right direction. If I did it over again, I would make the form out of plywood. The foam warps in the sun and moisture.

Good luck!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Eddie, The dome looks harder than it is. That's actually the fun part of the project. If I did another one, I'd pay to have the slabs and support walls poured, but I would do the dome myself.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'd go without forms. Way more fun. Not too hard either.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Don't forget to check out Hendo's dome gauge...fantastic idea from a very helpful and entertaining guy who sadly is no longer with us
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Don't worry Eddie. Really.

Check out my thread (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...ics-2610.html), and maybe Dave's (no offence meant Dave, hope you don't mind) to see two ovens that are... well less professionally built than some others here. One of the reasons I posted regular updates was in a way to show that non-bricklayer geniuses can build one of these ovens, too. the really beautiful domes get a lot of attention (and quite rightly so), but the less skilled-builder-ovens work perfectly well.

btw, I used Hendo's dome gauge, made it really easy. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html

I'm sure you'll do fine, and if you do get stuck, we're here to help you.
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
            X