web analytics
Dome Construction - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Dome Construction

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Construction

Hi all,

Im on my 3rd reading of the oven plan. I want it to sink in before I embark on my journey. Ground is still a little moist here in MA and I plan to start digging here pretty soon.

One question keeps coming to mind.......Im petrified once I get to dome construction phase. I think the styrafome jig looks like the easiest way for me.
    Being a non mason and all.

Does anyone feel there is a better way to ensure a quality built dome for someone that know absolutely nothing about brick laying?

Re: Dome Construction

Hi Eddie,

Don't panic. It really isn't as hard as it looks! After a course or two, you'll be a pro.

I used a Styrofoam (foam board) form to help keep things going in the right direction. If I did it over again, I would make the form out of plywood. The foam warps in the sun and moisture.

Good luck!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Eddie, The dome looks harder than it is. That's actually the fun part of the project. If I did another one, I'd pay to have the slabs and support walls poured, but I would do the dome myself.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

I'd go without forms. Way more fun. Not too hard either.
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

Don't forget to check out Hendo's dome gauge...fantastic idea from a very helpful and entertaining guy who sadly is no longer with us
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Don't worry Eddie. Really.

Check out my thread (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...ics-2610.html), and maybe Dave's (no offence meant Dave, hope you don't mind) to see two ovens that are... well less professionally built than some others here. One of the reasons I posted regular updates was in a way to show that non-bricklayer geniuses can build one of these ovens, too. the really beautiful domes get a lot of attention (and quite rightly so), but the less skilled-builder-ovens work perfectly well.

btw, I used Hendo's dome gauge, made it really easy. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html

I'm sure you'll do fine, and if you do get stuck, we're here to help you.
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)