web analytics
Use just heat stop 50 for shell construction - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Use just heat stop 50 for shell construction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use just heat stop 50 for shell construction

Hello I'm new to the forum but I've been here looking for a few years finally gonna start the build, I'm a concrete floor guy so I'm not worried about the stand so much as the oven construction it's self I want to build the forms and then use the heat stop 50 over this ? First question is
    Do I mix he heats top 50 with anything other than water ( rock , sand, fiber etc)
    Second question
    How think do I make the walls and do I cover the form in sections or do I install the refractory in one go?

Thanks

Re: Use just heat stop 50 for shell construction

Are you planning to use the Heatstop 50 as a castable refractory? It's intended for thin bonds between firebricks, not as a bulk refractory. It's also more expensive than a true castable refractory. It might work if you used crushed firebrick as aggregate, and the usual stainless needles for reinforcement, but it's probably not the best way to go.

Comment

Go to a refractory supplier, tell them what you are doing and make sure you get a dense castable refractory not an insulating one.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I went to the local supplier here in town asked about the crushed fire brick to use as aggregate they don't make the fire brick so that was a no go so at $1.48 per brick and $44.50 per 50lbs of heat stop 50 II IM going the fire brick route

Comment

I was going to say that heatstop sounded like an expensive way to go, but I see you already figured that out!

Do some research on home-brew for your mortar. It will save you some more money
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
          X