web analytics
Vermicrete very crumbly after setting - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

Vermicrete very crumbly after setting

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermicrete very crumbly after setting

Hi, I've mentioned this in another thread but felt like its a subject deserving its own.
    I mixed the vermicrete for my hearth insulation using 6:1 mix with slightly over 23litres water to 100L of mix because I have a document from my supplier with these instructions saved in my email from a year or 2 ago. Anyway, the mix was VERY dry. It has dried out very crumbly. It shouldn't be a problem because its in a concrete/block box like structure so it can't go anywhere. My oven is now sitting on top and I'm ready to insulate it.
    Anyway, I now find this document (attached)on my suppliers website that recommends I use 40/50% water in the mix. I know this is contrary to all the advice here but from my personal experience mixing this stuff I'm pretty sure it needs to be much wetter than the original 23% water mix or it'll never hold on the dome structure. Has anyone had similar experience? Could my suppliers vermiculite be different from others?

Attached Files

Re: Vermicrete very crumbly after setting

Originally posted by RichC View Post
    Could my suppliers vermiculite be different from others?
    I doubt it, vermiculite is vermiculite.

Vermiculite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Re: Vermicrete very crumbly after setting

I think every batch of vermiculite varies a little, but I've found 30 L water to every 100 L vermiculite to be the ideal ratio. If the stuf has got wet then less is required or if using a fine grade more is required. If you end up with water in the bottom of your barrow or bucket then you've added too much water. I've mixed tons if this stuff and the water addition is important to get right.
      23 L water for 100 l verm. Is not enough OMO.
      Last edited by david s; 09-07-2013, 07:08 AM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.