web analytics
5" foundation = 3in gravel + concrete? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

5" foundation = 3in gravel + concrete?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" foundation = 3in gravel + concrete?

Hello...
    am planning out a Casa 2g 90 build, will be laying my first foundation.

When the install guide says 5 1/2 slab, then goes on to say 3" gravel to start with plastic on top, does that mean excavate 8 1/2" do the 3" gravel, then do a full 5 1/2 slab? or is the 3" included in the 5 1/2"? I'm guessing its total 8 1/2" slab, but not clear and I dont know better, and I dont want to mess this part up!

other questions:
    -how to estimate how much concrete is needed?
    -looking at the corner install plan they have in the manual, how much bigger does the foundation need to be?

thanks

Ben

Re: 5" foundation = 3in gravel + concrete?

"does that mean excavate 8 1/2" do the 3" gravel, then do a full 5 1/2 slab?"

Yes.

Measure your slab in cubic feet. For example a 6 ft by 6ft by 5 1/2 inch slab = 16.5 cubic feet, or about .6 cubic yards.

If you are going the pre-mix bag route, there is 0.6 cubic feet in one 80 pound bag. Therefore the slab will require 16.5/.6 = 28 bags. Get more than you need , you can always return un-opened bags.

Comment

Re: 5" foundation = 3in gravel + concrete?

thanks for that info... I started my excavation today, assuming that I needed 3" gravel then 5 1/2 in slab.

More questions to follow, I'm sure!

Ben

Comment

Working...
      X